new backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
For the money, and the capacity, and everything else, you probably couldn't go too far wrong with an ex-issue PLCE type Bergan. The new ones can be a bit pricey, but if you can find an army surplus they should have some older ones in at some point. There used to be an army surplus place called Irish Men's Store, or something like that, not too far from the Shires in Leicester. Don't know if they are still there.

Back length is really important. I bought a Snugpak Rocket pack, but the back was too short for me and carrying anything more than a 100 yards or so started to hurt. Other than that it was a great bag, the short back was meant for use with web gear/belt kit.

Have a look at www.hikinghq.net, the guy who writes there is a bit of a light weight nut, but there are good ideas.

Most of the experienced people I know manage a week with a Sabre 45+pouches (65lt) no problem. That includes food and often has spare space. Give some serious thought to how to pack what you NEED into a smaller space.

Junk expands to fill the space available. If you can pare your gear load down before getting a bigger bag it will work out better than getting the big bag, then trying to pare things down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE