New axe.

Phil B

Settler
Jan 28, 2006
Beverley, Yorkshire.
Hi folks.
I picked up this standsrd Bahco hatchet for a tenner in a sale at one of my suppliers.

8a6eby2u.jpg

ujemu8em.jpg

Cheap enough to not worry about modding the shape, and good enough to make it worth the effort.
I disliked the shape of top of the cutting edge, so started there.
Slow, careful, cool cuts with a slitting wheel in the angle grinder.

ugugaha2.jpg

A bit of cleaning up with a disc then emery cloth, and....

a9u5ezyd.jpg

pu4egehy.jpg

I put a nice edge on with a hone and put it straight to work on kindling.
It's no GB, bit it wasn't GB money!
Ta for looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tappy thingy.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
They are great hatchets, I bought one last year for about the same, I didn't chop it up as the curved edge is good for carving, I did sand and oil the handle and make a mask for it though

Phil B

Settler
Jan 28, 2006
Beverley, Yorkshire.
Thanks folks.
Kind words gratefully received.
I don't have a sheath for it but the rubber protector still fits, despite the shortened cutting edge.

eru3a8uh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tappy thingy.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
That looks decent, I'm tempted to give that a go myself, have a few ideas I'd like to try now..thanks for posting :)

Jun 19, 2013
Belfast
That looks great. I just got one myself, unfortunately it was not up to scratch!

@Corfe I see you're a fellow NI member as well, howdy :). Did you buy yours anywhere near belfast? If so would you mind revealing the name shop you got it from?

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Hi Dibrusko - I bought mine in Belfast in a great hardware shop I think called McMasters off Royal Avenue. Great little axe. I have a GB small forest axe, but I always get out the little Bahco for jobs about the house - it cost me £14 I think.
Good to see another Norn Iron guy on the forum!

Jun 19, 2013
Belfast
Hi Dibrusko - I bought mine in Belfast in a great hardware shop I think called McMasters off Royal Avenue. Great little axe. I have a GB small forest axe, but I always get out the little Bahco for jobs about the house - it cost me £14 I think.
Good to see another Norn Iron guy on the forum!

Hey Corfe, thanks for replying! I will have to check McMasters out, I do know it.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice one, shouldn't have removed the upsweep from the edge though, it was its best and handiest feature, Not many axes about like that, you turned this one from a great and versatile head shape to an average run of the mill jobbie. It will make a poorer carver because of it.

Tut tut :D

May 18, 2012
Staffordshire
I did the same mod to the head myself found its a huge improvement to carving. I also removed the plastic wedge and refitted the head a little further down the helve allowing me to fit a oak wedge gb style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE