New alcohol stove type

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I just picked up a little ashtray tin from poundland.
And I got to thinking that it's probably possible to make an alcohol stove from it...
http://www.bikudo.com/photo_stock/826054.jpg

It's like SA09 in the picture, but the hole in the middle is smaller and the sides are flat.

It's an extremely tight fit about an inch and a quarter deep with the hole in the middle about an inch and a half...

Now, I have always wanted to get an alcohol stove sorted but every time I tried the coke can ones it never worked, I think I just don't get it.

So I need help, any stove makers out there, can you tell me if you would be able to make stove from this sort of thing?

If so I will have a beautifull and cheap hobo set for wood, esbit and alcohol, it feels lacking without it.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
The bowl in the middle, is it able to hold liquid or does the bowl have a hole that connects it to the walls? If it's water tight you could make a very nice little stove that only needs a wind shield, just put some long nails in the three holes and tilt them out and you have a pot stand. Then all you need to do is put meths/alcohol in the bowl.

soulstar1963

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2010
stoke on trent
try this for a quick easy cheap and very fast stove...... 1, make a cat can stove (lots of videos on you tube) 2 place the cat can next to an empty tuna can, 3, mark around the tuna can and cut the tuna can down so that it is just a little lower than the holes in the cat can, 4 place the cat can stove in the tuna can, roughly central 5, push some fibreglass insualtion inbetween the two cans, 6, put a little meths in the fibreglass then roughly one fluid ounce into the cat can, 7 light the fibreglass and cook. i am not going to say i invented the cat can stove because i obviously didnt. what i didnt like though was the thought of lighting a cat can stove and then waiting for it to come up to working temperature ( and what i also thought was a waste of meths) this method allows the stove to be used right away, no waiting. it also benefits from having a wider and therefore more stable base. it is also possible, after making absolutely sure the cat can has gone out, to put more meths into the fibreglass and to use this as a slower cooker for simmering. it will boil two cups of water on one fluid ounce of meths in around 4 and a half to 5 minutes depending on conditions. it is of course, being an alcohol stove prone to suffer from any wind that is around. this can be cured by using a foil windscreen going up the side of your billy can/pot by about an inch and being around one inch larger in circumference. sorry i cant seem to load a pic but ive tried putting one on my profile try there.

Last edited:

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Not sure the insulation method will work.
Heres what I did today though.
Cut the bottom of two red bull cans about 23mm from the table, and stuck them together, at 22mm these will perfectly fit inside the recessed hole in the ashtray tin top. Which means any holes would have to be cut inside the perimeter of the bottom red bull rim. The canal on the underside would be huge, like I said before it's Quite a wide ashtray...
It would all be completely tight, so tight it's very difficult to remove the top of the ashtray once it's all together...

I am wondering if simply cutting holes into the bottom of the redbull tins so it filters through from the ashtray will be enough to pull the vapours up the inside of the whole red bull tin and out through the holes in the inner rim of the red bull bottom...

I don't think theres anyway to get the coke can version using the middle of the can to work with this cooker as the holes would have to come from the inside of the rim not out outside...

Any thoughts...
Once I get this done I am going to post up videos of it's versatility on you tube. You might not be impressed but I think you might like it...
I think I have 6-7 methods of use so far allowing simmering distances, pot use, cup use, etc..

I'll be testing the esbit style with regular firelighters today to see how they fare and timing boil times and durations...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Pop can stoves are not hard to make, throw out a lot of heat but are not controllable hence I use a Trangia type burner plus simmer ring. Two home made burners here, as you can see the flame goes blue as a pot is put over the flames

100_0691640x480.jpg

100_0690640x480.jpg

100_0689640x480.jpg

W

wildjim

I've settled on the Vienna Sausage Can alcohol stove. It holds about twice as much fuel as the Super Cat alcohol stove and is simple to make and efficient.

The aluminum can is important as it gets to optimal operating temperature quickly ; )

Last edited by a moderator:

soulstar1963

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2010
stoke on trent
just wondered why you would need to have a stove that holds so much fuel .....a supercat will boil a pint of water on one fluid ounce ....why do you need more than a pint of boiling water

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I can chop down a tree with a khukri, but I can trim my nails with it too,
Same principle I suppose,
And I didn't say I needed a large stove, I said from what little I understand will this work? No one has answered that yet, so I am probably going to have to try it today and see, knowing my previous attempts though it will just fail...
If you can tell me how to do the redbull thing without cutting the bottom open to such a large container then do so...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE