New (?) alcohol stove by Esbit....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
Thats around £95
seems a bit steep to me

yes I agree, at first glance it does seem a bit expensive; but I am only pointing this new stove out. However a quick look at a similar Trangia (hard anodized) set from needlesports.com is priced at around £80.

I think this Esbit version looks well made.

Of course the big thing is just how much more efficient (time and fuel wise) will it be utilising this heat exchange design? A lot of people that dislike meths stoves because they think they are slow may have to review their opinions.

I'd be very interested to see a test on one, but I'm not in a position to buy a stove for this price at the moment.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
yes I agree, at first glance it does seem a bit expensive; but I am only pointing this new stove out. However a quick look at a similar Trangia (hard anodized) set from needlesports.com is priced at around £80.

I think this Esbit version looks well made.

Of course the big thing is just how much more efficient (time and fuel wise) will it be utilising this heat exchange design? A lot of people that dislike meths stoves because they think they are slow may have to review their opinions.

I'd be very interested to see a test on one, but I'm not in a position to buy a stove for this price at the moment.

me too ;-)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
An interesting setup, expensive? Well the pots look the same as the Primus ETA pots and these have a typical price of about £30 each, so not that expensive really (The Esbit setup can be had cheaper if you shop around).

Does it work well? OK, I tried out a 2.9 litre ETA pot using an old Turm alcohol stove and an old standard Camping Gaz S200 and the results for boiling a litre of water were

Turm 7 minutes

S200 just a little over 5 minutes (previous test with an Optimus Nova came in at 3 minutes.

Some will argue "whats the rush" I counter that with look at about the 50% fuel saving.

I would think this a perfect winter set up when you need a truly 100% reliable stove.

So based on the assumption that the pans are as good as the ETA pots I would think this a good buy, and I'll be indulging for sure :)

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
Interesting results Richard. I have contacted Esbit about this stove.
It also looks like it has the option to take an alternative burner like the Trangia too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE