New Air rifle laws?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Er, anyone else seen, or heard anything about the new air rifle laws brought in 10th Feb?
As I understand you now have to lock up your air rifle in a secure lockable cabinet and keep the pellets in a different place. I'm guessing that most of us will be doing so already, but how long will it be before the secure lockable cabinet has to be a proper gun cabinet, and you have to have a licence for your air rifle, whatever power it is.

Not seen or heard anything in the news about it.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
trigger lock or keep the pellets in a mini safe/filing cabinet etc.
I keep my pellets locked away and the buddy bottle for the pcp in the gun cabinet.
Cant say Ive ever had a visit from the plod though.
I can see where the government is coming from with this legislation, but it is only enforceable after a problem has arisen. There simply arent the resources to go door to door checking if there are any unsecured air rifles in the house.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
"From 10th February 2011, owners will be liable for a fine of up to £1,000 if they do not take reasonable precautions to stop unauthorised access to their airgun by people under 18."
this means that the guns which i own and am allowed to own and use (but not to buy) at the age of 16 must be kept out of my reach by me unless i authorise myself to use my guns??

"You must be at least 18 years of age before you may purchase an airgun or airgun ammunition.

Under the age of 14 you may not own an airgun."

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Here in Scotland there is the possability of a total airgun ban if westminster devolves the power to edinburgh.
Mine are always looked away in a steel cabinet with my shotguns but thats more to do with their value,today i heard on the radio that 30 swans had been shot with airguns down near bath.
Ive been shooting for 30 years and now im thinking that some kind of license may have to be brought in to try and limit acts like this,but with so many old guns in sheds and under beds i think it may be impossable to police.As usual it will be the legitimate shooter who is impacted by any new laws not the neds.
Soloman

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I think this should be a sticky as I bet a lot of forum members have air rifles and aren't aware of the law change. I googled "air rifle law" and none of the top hits carried information about the new law

NS

Last edited:

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
My tuppence is... they should all be on ticket much like a shotgun. Sadly, too many numpties around these days spoiling it for the responsible but there you go. An air rifle is not a toy, it has the potential to be lethal and therefore should be subject to the same laws. I also think that that system should be extended to bows and crossbows. It's surprising how extra careful you tend to be when you know that your licence and freedom is on the line every time you open the cabinet. It would also prevent air rifles being in the possession of less than desirable characters and likely reduce if not put to an end the number of children and animals injured or killed each year. If you're a 'legitimate' air rifle user you won't balk at having to have a secure cabinet and licensing system in place, it's not a great outlay or a great infringement on your rights or privileges.

To qualify the above I know of several local idiots that shouldn't own a peashooter, yet have access to crossbows and air rifles. The laws need to change.

I'll most likely get a flaming for holding these opinions, frankly I don't give a monkeys. Flame away.

Hoggy

Jan 30, 2010
uk
My tuppence is... they should all be on ticket much like a shotgun. Sadly, too many numpties around these days spoiling it for the responsible but there you go.

sadly it's not helped when an international footballer takes a pot shot at someone and nothing happens to him apart from a talking to. If that had happened to you or I at our place of work being fired would have been the least of it, police would be round sharpish.

Er, anyone else seen, or heard anything about the new air rifle laws brought in 10th Feb?
As I understand you now have to lock up your air rifle in a secure lockable cabinet and keep the pellets in a different place. I'm guessing that most of us will be doing so already, but how long will it be before the secure lockable cabinet has to be a proper gun cabinet, and you have to have a licence for your air rifle, whatever power it is.

Not seen or heard anything in the news about it.

you understand wrong you dont have to lock it up you have to take reasonable precautions to prevent under 18s accessing it without authorization 14-18 can legally use and operate an air gun without supervision etc this legislation doesn't infringe on that

as most laws it does not give an absolute of what to comply ;) so locking in a cabinet would do it but equally if you dont have under 18s in your house you can just lock your front door as usual

or you can just authorize all the 14-18yr olds in the house ;)

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE