New Air rifle laws?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
"From 10th February 2011, owners will be liable for a fine of up to £1,000 if they do not take reasonable precautions to stop unauthorised access to their airgun by people under 18."
this means that the guns which i own and am allowed to own and use (but not to buy) at the age of 16 must be kept out of my reach by me unless i authorise myself to use my guns??

"You must be at least 18 years of age before you may purchase an airgun or airgun ammunition.

Under the age of 14 you may not own an airgun."

Best post ive read all day LOL Crazy world we live in with all these laws! Im moving to afganistan (might not have a choice)

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
I never thought that id be thinking that a licence scheme for airguns would be a good idea,ive shot for many years and started our local club with a few likeminded guys in the early 80's.
But perhaps a shotgun like cert will be a good idea as the kind of people who abuse airguns wont want to pay £50 to keep an old rifle,any airgun crime then will have to be treated as per a firearm.
It just sickens me to constantly read about these disgusting acts by people who should be removed from the gene pool.
Soloman.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I never thought that id be thinking that a licence scheme for airguns would be a good idea,ive shot for many years and started our local club with a few likeminded guys in the early 80's.
But perhaps a shotgun like cert will be a good idea as the kind of people who abuse airguns wont want to pay £50 to keep an old rifle,any airgun crime then will have to be treated as per a firearm.
It just sickens me to constantly read about these disgusting acts by people who should be removed from the gene pool.
Soloman.

I agree with you Soloman, I'd pay for a license too.

You aren't in Dunfermline ARC(?) are you? I was a member their in the 90's. Is old John still in charge of overalls and how's auld Harry?

Liam

Last edited:

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
At the risk of being controversial, I have always believed that airguns should be licensed and kept in cabinets like shotguns (I am a great enthusiast of airguns, having shot for a local team in the past and also used one for hunting). I would like to see an over 18 "full" licence and an over 14 "supervised licence" that requires an adult to be present during use. Why? For me it is a simple choice. On an almost daily basis I see media stories about youngsters misusing airguns or using BB guns. These media stories have, in my opinion, a long standing derogatory effect in the public mind against the overwhelming majority of people who use airguns (or come to that any weapon) with absolute responsibility and integrity.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
No I would not pay for a license....I did that in 2004 and am thinking of handing it back...

Just don't use them enough!
Air rifles are good to have about though for country folk who can keep rats at bay etc....and that In my experiance is not frequent enough to warrent spending on a liciense.
So many people will be forced out of owner ship....all because of mindless (nasty word)'s

I've grown up around air guns...been members of a club...and still enjoy the odd plink (maybe 200 shots a year)....so no way will i be able to justfy getting a ticket :(

So my guns would get destroyed.....how good for the government...well done to them....less guns in a responsible owners hands!

and that i'm afraid is the exact reason i'm keeping my current ticket 'just because' i do not want my guns destroyed!

I wish i could remember where i saw it but some body sited that 22% of Brococks were registerd...so how effective would it be to register the rest of the air weapon family?

Mojo

Last edited:

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
No I would not pay for a license....I did that in 2004 and am thinking of handing it back...

Just don't use them enough!
Air rifles are good to have about though for country folk who can keep rats at bay etc....and that In my experiance is not frequent enough to warrent spending on a liciense.
So many people will be forced out of owner ship....all because of mindless (nasty word)'s

I've grown up around air guns...been members of a club...and still enjoy the odd plink (maybe 200 shots a year)....so no way will i be able to justfy getting a ticket :(

So my guns would get destroyed.....how good for the government...well done to them....less guns in a responsible owners hands!

and that i'm afraid is the exact reason i'm keeping my current ticket 'just because' i do not want my guns destroyed!

I wish i could remember where i saw it but some body sited that 22% of Brococks were registerd...so how effective would it be to register the rest of the air weapon family?

Mojo

I am not suggesting in any way that obtaining a licence should have a "fee" attached, in my opinion they should be free. What it would do is give a genuine opprtunity to get misused airguns out of circulation whilst leaving those responsible owners like yourself free to continue unmolested.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I'm afraid the kind of numpties who have an airgun lying around for casual pot-shots at passers-by (or canoeists) won't take any notice of this new law. Nor would they hand in their airguns if it was that or get a licence.

By the way, reading the Home Office guidance, it seems trigger locks are not sufficient as the gun can still be removed.

NS

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
I'm afraid the kind of numpties who have an airgun lying around for casual pot-shots at passers-by (or canoeists) won't take any notice of this new law. Nor would they hand in their airguns if it was that or get a licence.

By the way, reading the Home Office guidance, it seems trigger locks are not sufficient as the gun can still be removed.

NS

I have to agree with you on that, and was mindful when writing my earlier post that the number of handguns in "circulation" actually rose in the years after the Dunblane tragedy as it drove the scumbags underground and decent people lost their weapons.

At the risk of being controversial, I have always believed that airguns should be licensed and kept in cabinets like shotguns (I am a great enthusiast of airguns, having shot for a local team in the past and also used one for hunting). I would like to see an over 18 "full" licence and an over 14 "supervised licence" that requires an adult to be present during use. Why? For me it is a simple choice. On an almost daily basis I see media stories about youngsters misusing airguns or using BB guns. These media stories have, in my opinion, a long standing derogatory effect in the public mind against the overwhelming majority of people who use airguns (or come to that any weapon) with absolute responsibility and integrity.

well the scum bags have committed plenty of crimes to do the act but like the recant shooting of swans those caught will probably have fairly minor punishments if found guilty. (probably not allowed to keep swans )

plus if you have to have a licence for an air gun of any type you might as well havce an FAC one or a fire arm any way so would see an increase in more powerful air guns (i would like a stalker in 7.62mm cal does 120-180 ft lbs please )

I would just about maybe think of supporting a register type licence if they upped the power limits for that to say 30ft lbs before a FAC sect 1 is required
as its solved the problem and every one is responsible now they have the bit of paper no reason to be so restrictive is there

Airguns are currently licences and in categories below 12ft lbs (rifle) is what you would call an open licence as the power is restricted more power you have to apply for a sect 1 (same as a 50 cal sniper rifle ) and a over 6ft lb power pistol is a section 5 fire arm same as a machine gun or morter etc

do you know how hard you can thro a cricket ball or a brick do we need a licence for them to

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
There is a very truthful irony in your last line if you look at, for example, UK knife law. Our blades have got shorter but knife crime is on the up, most knifings according to a recent news item I watched are now with kitchen knives. There are a lot of items that could be used as a weapon that are everyday objects (though I don't recall anyone beaten to death with a loobrush to date lol) and a brick or a cricket ball are just two of them.

Would an increase in airgun power be a problem? I wouldn't have thought so give responsible use, but then we are back to that old chestnut, what is responsible use? Clearly not shooting swans in Somerset, that's for sure.

There is a very truthful irony in your last line if you look at, for example, UK knife law. Our blades have got shorter but knife crime is on the up, most knifings according to a recent news item I watched are now with kitchen knives. There are a lot of items that could be used as a weapon that are everyday objects (though I don't recall anyone beaten to death with a loobrush to date lol) and a brick or a cricket ball are just two of them.

Would an increase in airgun power be a problem? I wouldn't have thought so give responsible use, but then we are back to that old chestnut, what is responsible use? Clearly not shooting swans in Somerset, that's for sure.

yes but i bet a lot of people are injured probably seriously by cricket balls by accident but unlike a stupid accident by a football player with ah air gun causing a relatively minor injury its not front page news every week ;) (no Im not playing down the shear stupidity of the football indecent)

as for knives yes most crimes are kitchen knives and thats the one category that always gets an exemption in any new knife law

the main cure for the air gun thing is to bring shooting back into schools (lots of schools used to have shooting ranges) and teach them to shoot and use them as well as target fire arms etc

any thing thats made Tabbo gets the better of curiosity and will be not understood and used wrongly in secret

ATB
Duncan

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Yeah i pointed this out to spikey a while ago, you lot have to lock up your air rifles however my airsoft can sit in plain site legally and it looks like this:

new.jpg

scary huh?

and yeah thats an airsoft, it has more in common with a remote control car on the inside then anything else ;)
although step out my front door with that and i'm looking at an armed response unit within a minute or two :yikes:

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
yes but i bet a lot of people are injured probably seriously by cricket balls by accident but unlike a stupid accident by a football player with ah air gun causing a relatively minor injury its not front page news every week ;) (no Im not playing down the shear stupidity of the football indecent)

as for knives yes most crimes are kitchen knives and thats the one category that always gets an exemption in any new knife law

the main cure for the air gun thing is to bring shooting back into schools (lots of schools used to have shooting ranges) and teach them to shoot and use them as well as target fire arms etc

any thing thats made Tabbo gets the better of curiosity and will be not understood and used wrongly in secret

ATB
Duncan

you're certainly right on things that are taboo, the sure fire way to get a number 1 song was to get it banned.

Not sure about shooting in schools, I don't know, but would imagine it unlikely that state schools would be able to allow shooting these days. Certainly education on any subject raises awareness and teaching shooting and shooting safety would surely remove the glamour of weaponry.

Problem with yobs and guns is that they really don't know how dangerous they are in the hands of a fool, you get shot in the shoulder and you don't get up and carry on like in a Bruce Willis film.

resnikov

:naughty:
Problem with yobs and guns is that they really don't know how dangerous they are in the hands of a fool, you get shot in the shoulder and you don't get up and carry on like in a Bruce Willis film.

Now that sounds like a solution :naughty:

On a more serious side, I was thikning about getting my air rifle back from a mate i leant it to before I went to Australia, but with the new laws I think it might be more hassle then its worth as I dont see really how often I would go shooting.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
With regard to manacles point that it should be a free issue liciense it would not answer my question as to how effective it would be.....as i stated earlier that they 'lost' most Brocok BACS air weapons.....tens of thousands went missing when they said we needed liciences for them.....so what is the point.

it really does not give the user any benifit.
if they said register you weapon and we'll issue you with a licience for a 24ft/lb unit then yes....the gov get liciensed arms and we get more usable tools (45-50 yard effectivity)

mojo

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Hi thereMiyagi,yes i was and still am a member of the dunfermline club.
I came back to airgun shooting a couple of years ago,Harry is still there and normally takes charge at weekends John however has been very ill and hasnt been up for a few years.
You will probably remember my dad george.
Regards soloman.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
With regard to manacles point that it should be a free issue liciense it would not answer my question as to how effective it would be.....as i stated earlier that they 'lost' most Brocok BACS air weapons.....tens of thousands went missing when they said we needed liciences for them.....so what is the point.

it really does not give the user any benifit.
if they said register you weapon and we'll issue you with a licience for a 24ft/lb unit then yes....the gov get liciensed arms and we get more usable tools (45-50 yard effectivity)

mojo

I guess that is the crux of the issue, after the Dunblane tragedy and subsequent revision of firearms laws a lot of handguns disappeared and subsequently (alegedly) resurfaced in criminal use and in the following years there was an increase in the handguns in circulation (although how the Police made that assumption I'm not sure, I guess through the amount they were recovering maybe).

I would be in favour of increasing power for registered weapons as it is my understanding they were emasculated to make them safer rather than licensed.

I would be in favour of increasing power for registered weapons as it is my understanding they were emasculated to make them safer rather than licensed.

actually the limit was set back when most airguns couldnt reach that limit especially 177 cal (which is a lot less effecint than .22) or was very difficult and expensive to

the limit has made our air gun manufacturing one of the best in the world concentrating the focus on accuracy and consistency not pure power.

ATB

Duncan

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
actually the limit was set back when most airguns couldnt reach that limit especially 177 cal (which is a lot less effecint than .22) or was very difficult and expensive to

the limit has made our air gun manufacturing one of the best in the world concentrating the focus on accuracy and consistency not pure power.

ATB

Duncan

I never knew that and I stand corrected - cheers

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
there is loads of talk about upping the limit before you get a licence... why? 12ftlb is more than enough to target shoot and you can hunt with them effectively. the increase in power would be useless for pest control, would mean that target ranges would have to be doubled in length which would put my local one out of business, and would only really be useful to people lamping from a long distance. its just not needed.
and also, remember the government havent even hinted at licences for airguns (in fact they assured us they know airgun shooters are generally reaponsible) it was us lot who suggested it.

personally i always secure my guns if im going to be out of the house for more than a day, i just padlock them all together through all of the trigger guards and use a bike lock through the padlock and around a solid bit of the underside of my bed. its not completely thief proof but it makes it a lot more awkward for a common burglar in a hurry (try carrying 8 airguns all at once).

i will keep them locked up now just for peace of mind with the law, but i think this law will probably fade into insignificance anyway because it cant really be enforced until something has actually gone wrong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE