Never use really good whisky in marmalade

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would suggest anyone disparaging Bourbon should acquaint themselves with the FEW brand. A very fine Bourbon indeed.

They make a very good rye whiskey too.

I haven't tried a FEW but more than a few :)

Too sweet and sickly for my taste. Some of the small batch stuff is drinkable, but not a patch on good Scotch or Irish - or even Japanese who make a very fine whisky indeed!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I haven't tried a FEW but more than a few :)

Too sweet and sickly for my taste. Some of the small batch stuff is drinkable, but not a patch on good Scotch or Irish - or even Japanese who make a very fine whisky indeed!

The FEW cask strength is a very different beast, very dry - also the Rye whisky, kind of sour - very suppable.

There are good and bad Japanese whiskys. India is getting better at it. Wales is catching up slowly every year. The lake district stuff isn't up to much and the other British distillery was awful last time I tried it.

As far as Irish goes. Connemara is a nice tipple.

Oh and if anyone offers you a Tasmanian single malt avoid at all costs, unless you like burnt rubber.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Don't knock it till you try it. Lamb and redcurrant jelly, turkey and cranberry, its all just sharp fruit jams with meat!

To be fair i cant stand any fruit and meat combo like that, even apple sauce on pork is a terrible waste of good meat imo....each to their own though

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The UK firm of Robertson makes a variety of marmalades. Lime is their best but it goes off very quickly.
Question: I've been told that marmalades labelled "Golden Shred" have whiskey in them. True?

You want serious rye? Alberta Premium.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Question: I've been told that marmalades labelled "Golden Shred" have whiskey in them. True?

No fellah - mostly sugar and chemicals :(

Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Sugar, Orange Juice from Concentrate, Water, Orange Peel (contains Sulphites), Oranges, Gelling Agent: Pectin, Acid: Citric Acid, Treacle, Acidity Regulator: Sodium Citrates, Orange Oils, Prepared with 20g of Fruit per 100g, Total Sugar content 63g per 100g

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Robertson's used to make good jam, real jam. Now it's a thick fruit syrup, just like almost all the rest :sigh:

Your marmalade sounds good though BR :)

I admit I'm a heathen and I don't like shred in my marmalade, so I make one jar just for me that's strained :)

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Robertson's used to make good jam, real jam. Now it's a thick fruit syrup, just like almost all the rest :sigh:

Your marmalade sounds good though BR :)

I admit I'm a heathen and I don't like shred in my marmalade, so I make one jar just for me that's strained :)

M

Once you use the words "I make", you can have it any way you want! Thats half the fun. I make chilli sauce for herself that I can't eat (Steve finds it mildly tingly!), but I make a few sauce just for me :D

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Sausage and marmalade has long been a family favourite, as has fried bacon and fried banana. :)

On one my favourite concoctions (and I've even kept the recipe a secret from my wife!) is sausages fried in french mustard then a good few dollops of marmalade fried with some onions, mushrooms, bacon lardons and/or chorizo chunks. Drop it in a casserole dish, cover with some gravy and bung in the oven for an hour on a medium heat.

I've also sometimes substituted the marmalade for a banana curry sauce that I got from our local Chinese supermarket with all the other components remaining the same. Its a crazy flavour but delicious.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Heeeeyy... what's wrong with bourbon?

And you do know scotch is now made in ex-bourbon barrels don't you? :p

Absolutely nothing, bourbon casks are used to mature one of the best mainline beers going;

220px-InnisGunn.jpg

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE