Never mind the Kit you do take.....

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
...What about emptying those 35L sacks and really thinking about the least you could comfortably get away with for a day.

Use your imagination. You're bushcrafters, you can catch and pick your food, not bring it from home :thinkerg:

jay120970

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
devon
you could get away with what you get in your pockets i guess

i would go for things like fuel tablets hexy type packet of noodles knife small folding kfs couple of choc bars strike a light plus a one lt us canteen with us mug and cooker stand with black canteen cover as this all fits together very well small and very compact will fit in combat type jacket pocket mug and stand works very well better than uk issue type as more compact plus you can drink out of the bottle with out getting it all out
thats it off i go see you all later

dump the rucksack

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Absolute minimum? A knife. (Plus the clothes on my back of course). Ideally add the Crusader mug for cooking / water and a firesteel.

However, that would involve relying on both decent weather and decent forage - both of which are pretty unreliable in Scotland. At the very least, I'd want a bag of oatmeal too.

However, get lost on Rannoch in bad weather with that little, there's a good chance you're going to end up a casualty statistic. My ancestors could do it, but they never got lost and they were notorious for helping themselves to other people's cattle... Apparently they could do 40 miles a day, cross-country, living on oatmeal and ox blood.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I'm going to be a stick in the mud but other than carrying a large pack, we find many such as posted, going out with the minimum or nothing. They are found lost, hungry, thirsty, bewildered, hypothermic, often resentful of having to be found etc.. (I could have walked out on my own, (they were lost? 3+ days) 1/4 mile of a trail). I have walked upon a few myself and led them out, shared water, trail food, warmed then up etc... Those are the are good ones, the others we find, days, weeks or years after. I get fustrated :aargh4: that so many travel so "light" with false ideas of their abilities, then involve mass search parties, and family anguish at their loss, please carry a reasonable pack and know what to do with each item. Many talk of Thoreau, Kephart(?) yet do not realise they carried a good kit all the time though they did not overthink every situation, they were ready for most, you cannot be ready for all but you have to pick a balance. Carry a good pack and don't use what you don't immediately need and gradually increase your experiences, you'l be glad you carry a good kit one day. ;) CG :yo:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Couldn't agree more... I really don't plan on ever having to be rescued, so to me that means being as safe a reasonably possible. I'll gladly carry a few extra kilos if it means I don't have to trouble the fine chaps of the moutain rescue service to save my sorry bottom. My answer above was purely hypothetical.

What I think made the difference was the one time when I very nearly did get into real trouble. That's not happening again if I can help it! ;)

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Carcajou Garou said:
I'm going to be a stick in the mud but other than carrying a large pack, we find many such as posted, going out with the minimum or nothing. They are found lost, hungry, thirsty, bewildered, hypothermic, often resentful of having to be found etc.. (I could have walked out on my own, (they were lost? 3+ days) 1/4 mile of a trail). I have walked upon a few myself and led them out, shared water, trail food, warmed then up etc... Those are the are good ones, the others we find, days, weeks or years after. I get fustrated :aargh4: that so many travel so "light" with false ideas of their abilities, then involve mass search parties, and family anguish at their loss, please carry a reasonable pack and know what to do with each item. Many talk of Thoreau, Kephart(?) yet do not realise they carried a good kit all the time though they did not overthink every situation, they were ready for most, you cannot be ready for all but you have to pick a balance. Carry a good pack and don't use what you don't immediately need and gradually increase your experiences, you'l be glad you carry a good kit one day. ;) CG :yo:

Here........here :D

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
To equalize my post, I have never been lost, I know where I am to my own confort, I don't get home tonight, I will make camp and spend the night enjoying it, go home tomorrow. I may not know to the yard where I am but know where the cardinals are and where the trails, roads are, then it is to me to get there. In new surroundings I watch my backtrail and take mental and physical notes. Use maps etc... Get out and enjoy, increase your skills, be safe. CG :yo:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Good replies on the safety aspect. Please understand me, I would never place myself (or others with me) in a situation that we were not prepared for. If I am heading into the hills I always work on the theory that I might be out longer than planned. Therefore my kit is more substantial.

My point was more the "why take a stove when you can light a fire?" type thing.

And I am not talking survival per se. It was more a question to get people thinking about the worth of what they carry. Over the years i have picked up one "great buy" after another, and yet so many of them go unused.

Be safe

Stovie, geting more excited by the minute at the prospect of finally getting out tomorrow with my youngster...and the weather's looking up (slightly) :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I carry a very light pack....too damn tiring otherwise.....but that doesn't mean I don't carry lots of 'bits'. Good , suitable, clothing counts for an awful lot when out and about and the heaviest part of my pack is water. I carry some food, museli bars and nuts and dried fruit but that's usually it. If I need shelter, I find or make it....though I am becoming interested in one of those old German army style double triangle ponchos......if I can make it really lightweight :)
I don't go out for a race; move at your own pace and enjoy!

Cheers,
Toddy

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
This is just my take on things as a relative beginner at these things.... but for me it's the only realistic way. Although I have a tremendous interest in all things Bushcraft, and have a great respect for those who really can look to themselves for the ability to survive with a bare minimum of equipment, I haven't yet learned (or allowed myself to draw sufficiently on my own initiative) to do it myself.

My problem is the fact that at present, my time is limited to weekends and has to be balanced with the unavoidable aspects of life with a family 9my daughter is 17 months, and wondeful as she is, I doubt she'd appreciate a night in a bivi just yet!)

So, whilst not wishing to detract from the focus of the thread, for me I'd sooner do what I can to get out there and be in the woods for a while, carrying a bag and a few 'non-essential' items, but still maintaining the spirit of why I'm motivated to do it in the first place....

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
stovie said:
(good! I hear you say :sulkoff:

not at all stovie.. but i thought you might be interested in what was said there..

as for me i used to carry to many clothes but i think i have kept that to a minimum now i just need to cut back on the knives.. :lmao:

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
Here in New Zealand, you CANNOT light a fire in most places in the wild, especially during Summer.
Carrying gas or white fuel is part of the deal...
Whilst the authorities would love us all to eat Possums, they are not exactly disease free, TB etc..I would eat them if surviving.
The water is NOT pure anywhere, so water purification is extra kit to consider as well.
Food would consist of tinned fish and baked beans, perhaps tinned beef of some sort..no sugar or milk in any shape or form, but tea maybe.
Energy bars are put in spaces where they might fit.
Two knives, SAK on me at all times, plastic orange bivvy bag, with instructions for survival printed on it, 2L water bottle.
Woolen clothing for warmth, and polyprop for walking, a Tillet hat or suchlike.
And a good sleeping bag...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
zackerty said:
Here in New Zealand, you CANNOT light a fire in most places in the wild, especially during Summer.
Carrying gas or white fuel is part of the deal...
Whilst the authorities would love us all to eat Possums, they are not exactly disease free, TB etc..I would eat them if surviving.
The water is NOT pure anywhere, so water purification is extra kit to consider as well.
Food would consist of tinned fish and baked beans, perhaps tinned beef of some sort..no sugar or milk in any shape or form, but tea maybe.
Energy bars are put in spaces where they might fit.
Two knives, SAK on me at all times, plastic orange bivvy bag, with instructions for survival printed on it, 2L water bottle.
Woolen clothing for warmth, and polyprop for walking, a Tillet hat or suchlike.
And a good sleeping bag...

What do you mean, the water is not pure...........It never done the Hobbits any harm..............Jon

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
So minimum kit for just a day out, well if we aren’t talking about going up mountains (so that cuts out an awful lot of safety gear) and we’re just talking about a stroll around the permitted foot paths and rights of way on my local patch (the north Chiltern escarpment) then the following would be my choice
Clothes:

Base layer
Mid layer (if its warm then this stays in the car)
Water Proof layer (if I think there is even the slightest chance of rain it comes along)
Hat and gloves depending on season

Kit/Toys:
Map in case with Compass
FAK
KnifesOpinel 8 & Fixed blade
Fero Rod
Laplander Saw
1lt Sigg Bottle of Water
Lunch and small snack of fruit
Mobile Phone
Wallet
Keys
Finds Bag
Binoculars(they always come with as I love to look)

With that little lot I don’t need my 35l sack just my pockets and a bum bag, if I had a camel bak I wouldn’t need the bum bag.

The trouble with foraging for my lunch means I would have to spend quite a substantial amount of my already depleted time trying to find edible plants and let’s face it that’s all I would be able to get, I could not catch myself an animal in that time and I don’t think the landowners would be too happy either. So I choose to bring lunch along sorry stovie :rolleyes:

I would like to go out at some point into an abundant wilderness with the bare minimum:- good clothes, a knife, a cooking pot and a full possibles pouch but that’s not going to happen 20 miles from the M25 I can get close but there have to be compromises.

James

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
Carcajou Garou said:

good point, well made. better to take it and not need it, then need it and not take it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE