Never forget the Danger of Deadfalls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Got one in the old pine at the foot of the garden that detached last winter, hanging like a sword of Damocles. May have to climb up and cut it but it'll be difficult to do safely without cutting quite a bit of live wood, so reckoning on a winter gale bringing it down. Best all round for the tree.

I think it'll miss the caravan thats under it but a body doesn't want to be under it when it goes. Could land anywhere in a 40' 90º arc.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
You do not need heavy winds to get widow makers, this is the time of year that oak has a habit of dropping massive limbs generally just flexing itself and part of the natural woodland process. Had about six limbs come down in the last few months four across footpaths and the others out of the way these vary from 1-2 foot in diameter, no winds or heavy rain they just fell without warning.

Dandus

Sep 26, 2016
Hull
Had a close call a few weeks ago. Was set up at glyn e mul, Wales. Great place.
Woods with a River running through. Camped up the valley from the river as it had been pissing down all day and it looked pretty rapid. Later on the river started flooding and wiping out the clearings for camps by the riverside. It's a good job nobody was down there. Thought I was safe as I was up the hill.
I was in my sleeping bag eating biscuits or something quite chilled out, keeping warm.
Then I heard a lot of cracking sounds. My first thought was static before a lighting strike for some reason. I bolted/hopped to the door dropping my biscuits feeling like whatever was happening was probably out of my control anyway. Big thud
Opened the door/flap and couldn't see anything different at first but it looked like there were more bushes. Then I realised I was looking at the top of a tree that had fallen over quite close to my tent
I'll try get pictures on but not having any luck
Photo%2003-09-2016%2C%2015%2035%2008.jpg

Photo%2003-09-2016%2C%2019%2038%2016.jpg

photo%2004-09-2016%2C%2010%2004%2050.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE