Never forget the Danger of Deadfalls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I was saddened to read this this morning, checking for 'widow-makers' should be one of the very first things to check of a potential campsite no matter how seasoned an outdoors person you are. It must be so hard for loved ones back home to get this sort of news

A man has died and another man has been injured after a tree fell on to their tent in Edinburgh.
Police were called to an area of woodland on the south bank of the Water of Leith, near Dean Village, at about 03:30.
Officers said a "very large" tree had fallen as the two men slept.
One died at the scene and the other, aged 35, suffered minor injuries. Police said the tree fell due to "natural occurrences".
It is understood the men had been wild camping in the area.
A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: "Officers have consulted with the appropriate partners, who are confident that the tree fell as a result of natural occurrences.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Shame to hear such a thing happening, and we can only sympathise with his friend and his family.

There's a comment in The Scotman that says, "There is a section of the Water of Leith Walkway already closed off in the Dean Village area due to a massive landslide. Sadly this entire area of steep banking now seems to be dangerous due to poor or non-existant forest maintenance over many years. "

Something to be aware of when pitching camp. Look around you and not just for the flattest bit.

M

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Very sad and my thoughts are with the families of the victim.

I do however wonder if the winds ripping through Scotland at the moment have indeed played a big part in this unfortunate and tragic event.
It doesn't say on the article that it was deadfall or widow makers , (not arguing semantics ) but it was a tree!

Is it at all possible that these chaps could have actually been smart and scanned the area for hanging deadfall before choosing a spot ?...and upon not seeing any, decided it was safe?

I often see , here in Savernake forest , mature healthy looking trees completely uprooted , as if they had been pushed over by a giant and/or sometimes snapped and severed at the trunk (!) by what I assume to be some lightning strike or strong winds...

Of course it's still a tragedy regardless, but it's certainly sobering to think, they may well have taken safety precautions when choosing their spot which means this could have happened to any of us...

RIP and stay safe everyone

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
From what I think I saw in the press picture it was an entire large tree that had gone over rather than a branch coming down, although I might be wrong.

Still bad either way of course :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The strong winds really only began yesterday afternoon.
Reading the local news on the area the site is prone to landslips and trees simply toppling through gravity when the angle becomes way too much.

M

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
The strong winds really only began yesterday afternoon.
Reading the local news on the area the site is prone to landslips and trees simply toppling through gravity when the angle becomes way too much.

M
Ah! That would definitely explain how an otherwise healthy tree would come down like that...
Very sad

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We warn folks not to camp under beech, to check for flooding (Rough Close has some brilliant photos of exactly why folks like hammocks :) ) not to pitch up next to the roots of a fallen tree, but I don't think there's been a thread about landslips….or sinkholes.

It's a shame someone died like that, but it's not something one would expect, even in an area known for landslips.
At his age, he could have been any of thousands of the folks who join the discussions on the forums. Far too young to go. I really do feel for his family and friends.

M

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I had similar thoughts when i first read the report, this could easily be someone we interact with on these types of forums

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, beech has a dreadful habit of dropping huge great limbs. They come down totally unexpectedly, and they shatter like wooden grenades, sending wooden shrapnel flying with great force.

Lovely trees, excellently useful trees, just don't camp out under them.

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Back in the early 1990s we had a pine tree fall over and crush a passing car. I couldn't help but think of the incredible timing involved. Just a second difference in the driver's speed or the traffic congestion and he would have lived (or somebody else would have died)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Im sorry if it's a silly question, (novice here ) but why is that?
Is beech more prone to go over? Is it because of the chalky soil being looser?

Here heavy rains can soften the soil and cause most any species to topple. It's more common in species with more lean though.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
No, beech has a dreadful habit of dropping huge great limbs. They come down totally unexpectedly, and they shatter like wooden grenades, sending wooden shrapnel flying with great force.

Lovely trees, excellently useful trees, just don't camp out under them.

M
Ah ! Never knew that... Thanks for the tip. 👍

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Nice article Toddy.
As a tree surgeon who does emergency callouts for local authorities, i frequently get to see, what outwardly appears to be a healthy tree, either shedding limbs or failing completely. Strong winds and wet conditions are often a factor (especially when the trees have more leaves, so more sail). but we often come across what is known as summer branch drop, often Oak. where a limb will be shed for no apparent reason. Beech is obviously well known for this, however, i have been called to many other species over the years.
My advice is; if you are camping in wooded areas, check the area for fallen branches or uprooted trees, as it can give you a gauge as to the health of the woodland. Check any nearby trees for fungal growth or obvious signs of decay. but unless you want to carry around a sonar scanner, you'll never know the true state of a tree so just use common sense and your eyes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE