Nettle roots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Well Iv noticed they grow very long in soft soil similar to pine roots but not as strong I wonder iff it makes decent cordage iff split n braided

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've made plenty of cordage from the stalks, but not tried the roots. It would be interesting if you had a go and reported back, or if anyone else has tried.
I've just dug up a patch of nettles and the roots are plentiful, but I just bunged them on the bonfire as I don't have the time or inclination at present to try making cordage with them. I'm trying to make an apocrathy and cloth dying plot where my nettles were taking over the whole area, and smothering a beautiful rose Bush.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm trying to make an apocrathy and cloth dying plot where my nettles were taking over the whole area, and smothering a beautiful rose Bush.

That sounds a bit ironic - grubbing out one of the best medicinal plants and cloth dying plants to make room for an apocrathy and cloth dying plot - but, I realise you mean you want other plants as well as the nettles, not instead of them :)

in answer to the OP's question - I have used nettle roots as temporary binding but the stem is far better for long-term cordage.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That sounds a bit ironic - grubbing out one of the best medicinal plants and cloth dying plants to make room for an apocrathy and cloth dying plot - but, I realise you mean you want other plants as well as the nettles, not instead of them :)

in answer to the OP's question - I have used nettle roots as temporary binding but the stem is far better for long-term cordage.

I have plenty of wild nettles and brambles within yards of my front door, the joy of rural living, so I'm trying to make better use of my limited garden space. Otherwise I'd agree with you.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They do, but I don't think it makes as good a cordage as the stems.
In drier climates, the nettles wither over Winter, and the stems can just be cut and rubbed to free the fibre rich skins. The fibres come out fine and short and spin to make beautiful thread. Here we mostly have to peel them before they rot.

The stuff from the roots makes a heavier cordage altogether. It's very sound for binding stuff though, like a stone axe head into a cleft stick and then resin glue used to bond it all together.

Not long after I joined the forum, I was talking about nettle cordage and one of the other members said that he reckoned the roots were much stronger.

Well, I've tried them, but I think it honestly depends on the nettles, where they're growing, how long they've been growing, kind of thing.
I don't get consistency to any cordage I've made from them, but I do with the stems.

Each to their own :)

M

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
They do, but I don't think it makes as good a cordage as the stems.
In drier climates, the nettles wither over Winter, and the stems can just be cut and rubbed to free the fibre rich skins. The fibres come out fine and short and spin to make beautiful thread. Here we mostly have to peel them before they rot.

The stuff from the roots makes a heavier cordage altogether. It's very sound for binding stuff though, like a stone axe head into a cleft stick and then resin glue used to bond it all together.

Not long after I joined the forum, I was talking about nettle cordage and one of the other members said that he reckoned the roots were much stronger.

Well, I've tried them, but I think it honestly depends on the nettles, where they're growing, how long they've been growing, kind of thing.
I don't get consistency to any cordage I've made from them, but I do with the stems.

Each to their own :)

M
Thanks yeh it seems similar to pine roots but less even lengths n not as strong

Harold Godwinson

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2023
Cornwall
be nice if edible - bit like wild spaghetti

Can you eat nettle roots?

Image result for are nettle roots edible

The dried leaves and flowers can be steeped to make a delicious herbal tea, while its leaves, stem and roots can be cooked and added to soups, stews, smoothies and stir-frys. However, avoid eating fresh leaves, as their barbs can cause irritation. Currently, there is no recommended dosage for stinging nettle products.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They're a good food, especially in Winter and Spring when it's hard to find fresh greens.
Don't eat the old shoots, they have crystals that aren't good for us, but fresh sprigs from nettles picked just now are quite tasty :)
I made papas rellenas with them the other day. Washed, patted dryish, chopped and fried with very little olive oil, the nettles and other Spring greens as the filling.
Very good.

Nettles make good soup too.
If you dry the leaves and rub them down to fine dust, they can be a salt alternative for folks who have to be careful with salt intake. They're not 'salty' but it's a seasoning.

M

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
They're a good food, especially in Winter and Spring when it's hard to find fresh greens.
Don't eat the old shoots, they have crystals that aren't good for us, but fresh sprigs from nettles picked just now are quite tasty :)
I made papas rellenas with them the other day. Washed, patted dryish, chopped and fried with very little olive oil, the nettles and other Spring greens as the filling.
Very good.

Nettles make good soup too.
If you dry the leaves and rub them down to fine dust, they can be a salt alternative for folks who have to be careful with salt intake. They're not 'salty' but it's a seasoning.

M
Nothing says Spring like nettle soup!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE