Nettle cordage question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I spin and weave both nettle and flax (hemp too) and make ropes and nets from them all. I agree, just before flowering to pull for fibres, and if you walk along the stems to crush them lengthwise it makes it easier to pull the fibrous skin off in one piece. Urtica dioica for preference, but if D. urens is what you've got, it'll do.....)
Nettle is *very* strong and lasting, (bootlaces lasted three years continuous use) and it doesn't seem to crack the way linen can once woven. However, the fibres are finer, softer, and whiter than linen and not as strong when wet as the flax. If you boil and mash up the residue after taking out the main fibres and mould it around something like a pot or a stump it'll make a bowl that can be waxed to hold food or to collect berries, etc.

Toddy

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Toddy said:
If you boil and mash up the residue after taking out the main fibres and mould it around something like a pot or a stump it'll make a bowl that can be waxed to hold food or to collect berries, etc.

Never heard of doing that before. Nice idea! :biggthump

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
arctic hobo said:
Speaking of nettles, this is :offtopic: I'm afraid: I have a nettle sting stuck hard in me, I only brushed against it and it still hurts a week afterwards. Is this an odd nettle variety or just an unusual case? :?:
That tends to happen to me whenever I attack our garden. I assume it isn't puffed up and only stings when something brushes it? If it is then it sounds like the same as I get. It'll stop after a while and you probably won't notice when. I haven't managed to pin it down to a timescale better than 'a few weeks'.

D

DOC-CANADA

Jeff Wagner said:
Doc - was there a little "frost on the pumpkin" up there last night. Pretty chilly on this side of the lake. We'll see -21 C tonight

Hi Jeff;
Just read your post (1:57AM - Saturday Jan.22) so I checked the weather channel. Currently -17C with an overnight of -18C. Also storm warning in effect. They say, considering the 'lake effect' snow (I live in Hamilton at the extreme west end of Lake Ontario), we could get up to 30 cm (12") so it should be a good day to get out the snowshoes because I probably won't be going to work.

I think it was colder last night and even colder the night before, but, hey, it's winter!

Cheers!

:p Doc :p

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Emma said:
That tends to happen to me whenever I attack our garden. I assume it isn't puffed up and only stings when something brushes it? If it is then it sounds like the same as I get. It'll stop after a while and you probably won't notice when. I haven't managed to pin it down to a timescale better than 'a few weeks'.
No, it's just like you say... not puffed up or anything. I have just not had it before... although I'm no stranger to nettle stings! Cheers :biggthump

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:wave:
Crush them, wilt them or overheat them.
Basically damage the cells enough and they can't function properly. If you drag your hand firmly up the stem pulling off leaves as you go, you're also less likely to get stung. Me?? I use gloves :wink:
Toddy

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Toddy said:
If you drag your hand firmly up the stem pulling off leaves as you go, you're also less likely to get stung.

Hmmm, that was what I was told on a course once... my hands took days to settle back down to normal size... :yikes:

Me?? I use gloves :wink:

and I moved on to that solution soon afterwards....

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
even if you avoid getting stung you often get a "tingling" from the poisen bit.. i guess if you have a bad reaction to it then your going to have to use gloves!

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I don't think my handles were actually swollen to twice their size, they just felt like it.. IIRC it's histamine which nettles use to cause the stinging/tingling feeling.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Yes - histamine it is - the nettle is covered in tiny hairs, which are actually 'glass' tubes made form silica. These pierce the skin and then break, 'injecting' a combination of histamines, formic acid and seratonin and acetylcholine (increases the sensitivity of the nervous system to histamines):

image003.gif

Lovely defences! :)

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
we had to make nettle cordage on the juniour fundimental bushcraft course i went on, mine never turned out how the leaders did! :yikes:

hootchi

Settler
match said:
Yes - histamine it is - the nettle is covered in tiny hairs, which are actually 'glass' tubes made form silica. These pierce the skin and then break, 'injecting' a combination of histamines, formic acid and seratonin and acetylcholine (increases the sensitivity of the nervous system to histamines):

image003.gif

Lovely defences! :)
So why don't they sting you if you do the old 'Spartan Grip'? :shock: :?:

I dont have the ..err... nerves to try it! :wink:

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
hootchi said:
So why don't they sting you if you do the old 'Spartan Grip'? :shock: :?:

I dont have the ..err... nerves to try it! :wink:

Well, I heard about this and tried it when I was much younger, and it sometimes works, but not all the time :shock:

I think the reason it works a bit is that these are very much like small hairs - but brittle, and it is when they snap and become sharp that they 'inject' their contents into you. Grabbing the leaf keeps the hairs still and just squashes them in place, but brushing across the leaf moves the hairs, making them more likely to snap and then cut into the bit of skin directly behind that which broke them.

Thats my guess anyway - still hurts! :?:

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I have rhumatism in my left thumb knuckle joint. Beating it lightly with nettles every 3 months cures the pain I get from the joint. Mind you it can tingle for days after and make the area also quite numb!

Commoner

Jan 29, 2010
Hampshire
Back to original questions... look for tall :wow1:stinging nettles grown in open with RED stems... fibres seem to be tougher

yup but steeping them in water would save you all the work of hand stripping them out .

Bacteria would do a lot of the work for you

leaving you to go back later and pick out bundles of fibres ready to be rinsed and used

Tant

What you say makes sense. I have made a lot of cordage in my time, but not from nettle. I will give this a go.
Thank you.
Le Loup.

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire
I have rhumatism in my left thumb knuckle joint. Beating it lightly with nettles every 3 months cures the pain I get from the joint. Mind you it can tingle for days after and make the area also quite numb!

when we used to do lots of martial art cometitions fighting we would get the odd broken finger ect
to recover quicker we would gather large hessian bag of stinging nettles and remove the straping and punch into the bag the stings numbed the pain and promoted increased blood folw and helped us heal quicker and thus get back on the mats faster.
i was taught this by one of the early uk bushcraft /survival men eddie mcgee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE