Nettle bow atring tutorial. Anyone?

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Like how this thread is developing.
It also puts a bit of pressure on me to complete this project without making an a** of my self.
I have just engaged my mother in the search for my grandmothers old carding tool.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
To be honest I havent thought that far yet. The primary objective is to see if I can actually get "spinnable" fibres out of it. But if I get that far I would very much like to learn how to spin.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I must have taught hundreds of people to spin, and it's best described as Trishbo said when she learned; it's a lightbulb moment. It suddenly all just comes together :D and you've got it :cool:

I'm a pain; I honestly believe that machine made was made in emulation of the best of hand made. The ladies who taught me to spin were elderly, and their spinning was fine and even and sound. An awful lot of folks who spin now, spin 'designer' yarn.......all lumps and bumps and thick and thin, underspun, overspun........learn to make it right first and then you can play around with it all you like.
I think for the string you want, the fibres would be best worsted spun. That is with all of them lying in the one direction, not an open, airy, knitting wool type yarn, but a non stretch weaving type yarn. Smooth and even.
The bast fibres are best spun damp so keep a wee bowl of water beside you and use it to keep your fingers moist; or, if you can make a roving of the fibres first, just spray them with water from a plant mister bottle. (a cleaned out squirty cleanser bottle works fine too)

Oh no pressure; it's just among ourselves and we're interested :cool:

Flax is carded on a comb, and I use a metal dog comb to clean my nettle fibres. Just hold tight on the end of a bundle of the stuff and comb until the other end is open and clean, then turn the bundle round and do the other end.
I want the fibres all running parallel, and I find it easier that way. If I use carders I get a soft woolly like bundle.

cheers,
Toddy

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
I guess I have to convince my missus that we have to go to Britain for our summer vaccation next year to take a course in nettle spinning:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
There are truly excellent flax spinners in Scandinavia though :D and a long, unbroken tradition of weaving their own home linens. One of the ladies who taught me to weave learned Swedish so that she could make sense of their weaving books :)

There's bound to be a group in Norway who can point you towards someone who'll teach you to spin ? Either on a drop spindle or the thigh rolling spindle. We have the Spinners, weavers and dyers guild here. Probably something similar near you.

I have a Scottish flax spinning wheel, and it's provenance accurately dates it to c1746, it still spins beautifully :D Similar wheels were commonplace right across northern Europe; but I also have spindle whorls that range as far back as the Roman Empire in Britain........and you can make a drop spindle with very little effort :D :cool:

cheers,
M

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
I'm sure there are sklled spinners around here somewere to, but I'm sure their ale and singel malt are not as good as yours:)
I'll have a chat with the lady at the office at my job, she's involved in some sewing/waving guild, maybe she's got some good tip.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I tried spinning with a drop spindle at the Priddy Folk Fair, it went a bit fat and thin in places and had a few breaks but there was an improvement from the first bit I did to the end bit. A bit more practice (about 2 years) I might have got the hang of it

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Quick update: Due to the extreme wet weather we got at the moment, I belive the retting process has gone to far. It is just not possible to hang up anything to dry.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, I took mine down, thrashed the bundles against the fence to loosen the leaves and then I just sat and peeled the skins off by hand. I composted the leaves but the skins I just hung to dry in the house.

I did put some in water and they retted, and the fibres came free of the broken skins when I combed them out. I've only got a handful though, the smell was like the seaweed sheets used for sushi, sort of fishy tideline smell.

I got HWMBLT to take some photos, but there is only a handful of fibres. I'll find the photos and post them.

There's no drying outside in this weather :sigh: I don't think the rain's stoppped here all day.

cheers,
M

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
i have made a bow string from nettle fibres for a 30lb draw weight bow. I think it took around 40 hours work to prepare the fibres removing all the chaff then twisting over 20m of fine two ply string. Then twisting 3 plys of the 2 ply together. You end up with a rather large diameter bow string. still no guarantees it wont break on the first arrow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE