Netmaking 101

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
I wrote these instructions 30 years ago this year. They have stood the test of time

nettinginstructions1.jpg

nettinginstructions2.jpg

Here are a few hints to help the beginning Net maker:
1. MAINTAIN THE PINCH. Pinch the 2 legs of the previous loop and the Working End between your thumb and forefinger
against the top of the gauge. This prevents the working end from slipping back.
nettingtatting1-1.jpg

2. When you make a sheet bend, you are first forming a half hitch around the 2 strands of the loop you are tying into.
As you tighten draw the knot to the right instead of down to take out the slack. As you see the half hitch form on the
two legs gradually ease it down to your thumb and forefinger. Do not release your pinch until the half hitch is locked
into place, forming the sheet bend.
3. Keep pulling back to maintain some tension in the work.
4. The most common mistake a novice makes is letting the half hitch form below the loop being tied into.
sheeetbend.jpg

5. As indicated in the dimensions of netting needles in my instructions, the needle used MUST be narrower than the gauge you are using. This is so that the loaded needle can pass easilly through the meshes you are tying into.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah you sweetheart :D

I've promised to do a netmaking workshop at a meet up shortly and was looking for clear illustrations to give folks away with them. I thought I was going to have to write out and draw my own.

Do you mind if I copy and print out a few of yours instead ? I'll happily add your name to the print out, put the (c) on to them and the link to the pineapple knotting forum.

If you'd rather I didn't, I do understand; there's a lot of time and effort goes into making good clear instructions like those.

Kind regards,
Mary

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
Thanks everyone for the kind words.
Mary, Feel free to copy the instructions for your workshop (adding my name to the print out). I used to have a pile of the instructions free for the taking at my net making demonstrations. Too many were being taken by people I knew would never attempt the craft. They were taking printed material from every table. I took a hint from a fellow craftsman. Charge $1.00 per instruction and then quielty give the dollar back to the customer as you hand her/him the instructions. This way I am sure that the instructions are going to a serious person. I also tell them that the instructions are free on-line but many still want a printed version. Tony

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you kindly :D it's much appreciated.

I know what you mean about folks taking handouts/printed stuff.
I gave up printing out lists of the dye plants I used and the colours I got; even tied to the demo hoops of wool, some people just cut them off :sigh:

The instructions are for a small group at a bushcraft meet at Comriecroft later this month. I'll see to it that everything I copy has your name and links on it, but I expect the printouts to only go to people who come ane have a go at netmaking.

Best wishes,
Mary

Wetneck

Oct 6, 2013
South Coast - UK
Absolutely brilliant, thank you Anthony.
I've printed this out and will be giving it a go in the next few weeks. Really appreciate you taking the time to share these on here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE