Net making kit - group buy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's the first two loops that are both the hardest to get right, and the most important. If you don't get those right, you'll never get the rest of the net even.

Pay very close attention to the direction and placement of the twine as you go around the gauge stick. It's down over the stick, then up behind the stick, and through the loop from the back to form the next loop. This is the easiest way to achieve a consistent mesh size.

When pinching the twine to tie the knot, make sure that the working end (that you're going to tie the knot with) lies between thumb and forefinger - I really had to work at this, as it seems more natural to have it under the thumb for some reason.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Oh, and there's some more good stuff (including full instructions for a cast-net) over here.

I thought I recognised the printed instructions from somewhere... ;)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'm hoping to make a hammock when I eventually get around to opening my kit and trying it, but if anyone is thinking of making nets for fishing (e.g. landing or keep nets) remember that some (if not all) areas in the UK only permit knotless nets.

Geoff

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
when i get the hang of it i think i will make a landing net and maybe a hammock
thats WHEN i get the hang of it lol, i'm finding it hard but am determined to do it as this is a skill i would love to have
leon

arian

Jun 10, 2005
Where Am I?
Just follow the pictures Leon. They pretty much explain themselves.

Anyone else find the instructions difficult?

Eric

Yep.

1) They're not pictures, but murky drawings. They've been photocopied too often.

2) If you already know what you're doing, then no doubt they're really clear :(.

I can't relate the instructions to the fishermen I've seen mending nets.

OTOH, I haven't tried very hard; just a quick look when the kits arrived. I've been meaning to do a web search for a helpful site.

I'm still glad I got the kits, and once it all falls into place I too will say it's really easy.

Regards
arian

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
My uncle is going to show me how to do it as i think he knows, if not he will take me to harwich to see an old boy who makes his trawling nets
leon

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Received mine today. Thanks again Eric for putting this together. Much appreciated. :You_Rock_

I have to go out of town again in a couple of weeks, so while sitting in the hotel room with nothing else to do I plan on practicing a little net making. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE