Net Bag Tutorial for Beginning Net Makers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
Basic netmaking can be found here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96057&highlight=Netmaking+101

Once my students can tie the sheet bend I have them make a simple net bag like this. Straightforward netting - no increasing or decreasing.

1. Using the chain start http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/The_Chain_Start_about950.html make a chain 16 meshes long. I used a 1 1/2" wide gauge.

015_zps72f0eb74.jpg

2. Make a panel 30 rows long.

016_zps2a938f8c.jpg

3. On either side take a separate cord. Count down 5 rows and strung the cord through the side meshes (see top of photo). Tie the ends of the cord together (see bottom of photo).

017_zpsdbbcb102.jpg

4. Take a separaate cord and string it through the end meshes (see top of photo). Tie the ends of the cord together to form a loop (bottom of photo).

019_zpsda08eb07.jpg

5. Hang the bag by these 2 end loops. Will hold a lot of onions or potatoes or whatever.

020_zpsc888701f.jpg

[/url]

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
No replies, but many views! So thanks for this.

I made a similar one a couple of years ago and it's remarkable how much cordage you need to complete something like this. Makes you realise how valuable a net would have been if all the cordage was hand-twisted.

Geoff

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Thanks for taking the time in doing this. I learned to net by using your "how to net pdf" which i download a few years ago. My first net was a bag like the one in the post above, using the pdf tutorial.

Many thanks for passing on your knowledge.

Cheers Stuart.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just seen this :eek:

Neat, tidy, and so clearly explained :cool: and a very practical useful too :approve:

Thank you for posting Tony :D

atb,
Mary

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
Here I go. Complicating a simple project. First I removed the side strings and tied the side meshes together using the sheet bend but NO gauge.
JdjGLxP.jpg

Next I took away the end loops. Starting at A (either end) I went across the end row tying into 2 meshes each time.
gGG2Ndv.jpg

I tied 20 rows to hake a shoulder strap. To make a simple short handle only tie a couple of rows.
w3pUFph.jpg

To tie back into the body of the bag I put a loop through the middle of the handle to stretch the netting apart, I first tied into the first 2 loops of the 8 and then back to the handle in the numerical sequence shown.
qwj4Hkc.jpg

TaDa
qwj4Hkc.jpg

Clarification of first step
PHQtjDo.jpg

Last edited:

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
At my recent net making demonstraton I made up a panel of netting and was about to tie up the sides to make a storage bag. I realized that if I used small soft shackles
sjxgT42.jpg

I could change the number of side meshes I included and make either a storage /shopping bag
dQWAHNK.jpg

or a storage hammock
bvk7kLD.jpg

Small carabiners would work equally well. Tony

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE