Nessmuk axe questions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
You know what we have to do now: -

1. Gouge, or curved chisel
2. Not sure if this is sandpaper, a line, or both.
3. Chisel
4. Draw Knife
5. Drill
6. Some sort of marking compass?
7. Mallet
8. Folding Knife
9. ?
10. Some sort of marking compass?
11. Think this is one of those Carpenters axes.
12. Cruiser Length Double headed Axe

Cool :)

I think '9' is a small spirit level, '11' is an adze of some form and '2' is a line wrapped around some wood. There is also what looks like a carpenters pencil next to '2'.

I read that he carried the metal parts of his tools to the cabin location and carved the handles (and presumably the mallet) on site.

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
You know what we have to do now: -

The heads are different sizes, so bet there a reason behind it. The middle one is more what I have in mind.

The big thought that springs to mind is grinding a Modern production axe down that much, would it screw the temper?

I suppose it wouldn't if you had forever to do it. :)

I have an old cruiser made from a full sized head. Basically a recycled full-sized axe that got worn down. I think you are much better off picking up an old double bit cruiser head. Ebay has them all the time. You just have to bide your time and be choosy to find a good one. Collins made a nice cruiser head and if you are patient you can often find one that hasn't been oversharpened or is too rusty. The eye on a full-sized head is bigger, which means you have to go with a larger handle. It doesn't feel right to me. A good cruiser is light and nimble but still big enough to work a good sized log. :)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Cool :)

I think '9' is a small spirit level, '11' is an adze of some form and '2' is a line wrapped around some wood. There is also what looks like a carpenters pencil next to '2'.

I read that he carried the metal parts of his tools to the cabin location and carved the handles (and presumably the mallet) on site.
9 is a line level. You put it on the builders line (non-stretchy string) pulled tight between two points, gives you a reasonable level for general construction. They are still used.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
dickproenneketools.jpg

2. A Plum bob and line wrapped round a piece of wood.
3. Chisel
4. Draw Knife
5. Drill
7. Mallet
8. Folding Knife
9. Line level and think the red thing is a pencil
11. Adze

I have an old cruiser made from a full sized head. Basically a recycled full-sized axe that got worn down. I think you are much better off picking up an old double bit cruiser head. Ebay has them all the time. You just have to bide your time and be choosy to find a good one. Collins made a nice cruiser head and if you are patient you can often find one that hasn't been oversharpened or is too rusty. The eye on a full-sized head is bigger, which means you have to go with a larger handle. It doesn't feel right to me. A good cruiser is light and nimble but still big enough to work a good sized log. :)

Yeah, set up a search on the bay. Think this might make the most sense. The big problem is that most of them based in the US and the postage starts to make a Reeves look cheap.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
dickproenneketools.jpg

2. A Plum bob and line wrapped round a piece of wood.
3. Chisel
4. Draw Knife
5. Drill
7. Mallet
8. Folding Knife
9. Line level and think the red thing is a pencil
11. Adze

Yeah, set up a search on the bay. Think this might make the most sense. The big problem is that most of them based in the US and the postage starts to make a Reeves look cheap.

True, but a Reeves is a much smaller tool. In my pic above, the hatchet is a Reeves. I think you need to decide if you want a hatchet or an axe. Maybe one of the smiths here can make you exactly what you want.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE