Nelson Mandela

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Desmond Tutu is definitely on my hero list!

I expect that many in the west will confuse the two men TBH.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I think it fair to say that Mandela had it within his power to make the change to majority rule far more violent than it was, had he not been willing to compromise to a degree. He did provide a moderating influence by making the whites believe they weren't going to be dispossessed at best, and making the black masses think that there was no need to resort to (more) violence to achieve their ends.

People often make the mistake of thinking that Apartheid was all about black and white - there was also a lot of tension between the ANC supporters and the Zulus, not to mention white maniacs like Terre Blanche stirring the pot - it was a very volatile situation.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....People often make the mistake of thinking that Apartheid was all about black and white - there was also a lot of tension between the ANC supporters and the Zulus, not to mention white maniacs like Terre Blanche stirring the pot - it was a very volatile situation.

Was? TBH, the story is ongoing as we speak. Just no longer in the public (world's) eye at the moment.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I don't care, I say it as I see it!:rolleyes:

Perhaps but gloating over the death of any human being is in pretty poor taste.

To do it in a thread that the OP intended as a eulogy is simply trolling.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hagrid

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2013
North Devon
Perhaps but gloating over the death of any human being is in pretty poor taste.

To do it in a thread that the OP intended as a eulogy is simply trolling.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
that's your opinion, all this fawning over someone who used violence to get their way is nothing short of obscene and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
I have known many people whom I consider vastly superior human beings to Mandela, without exception their passing has not even caused a ripple on life's surface. I remain stoically unmoved by the death of someone I have never met.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I find it odd that people seem to take pride, almost boast about the fact they do not care. If you don't care don't comment in a thread intended as a Eulogy. Do you comment in every thread you have no interest in with a post to such ends?

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Was? TBH, the story is ongoing as we speak. Just no longer in the public (world's) eye at the moment.

My point was that it might have been a bloodbath at the time, but wasn't. In my opinion, Mandela's great achievement was to convince all the mutually antagonistic groups in South Africa (very much including the Army), that they would get enough of what they wanted to be able to live with it.

It may sound downbeat, but when you consider that they would have set about each other with great violence if things had gone wrong, the South African Civil War was one of the 20th century's greatest non-events.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
that's your opinion, all this fawning over someone who used violence to get their way is nothing short of obscene and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

history is littered with such people

If the internet had been around when Churchill had died there would have been a queue to troll a forum thread about him

power to the people....

Hagrid

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2013
North Devon
I find it odd that people seem to take pride, almost boast about the fact they do not care. If you don't care don't comment in a thread intended as a Eulogy. Do you comment in every thread you have no interest in with a post to such ends?

you misquote me- I said I didn't care about what other people think of my posts, and I still don't.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
there is a heck of a difference between a terrorist using violence to make a political point and a soldier fighting for to stop his country being invaded by a foreign power.

No, no there isn't - those under Apartheid tried passive resistance and were butchered. They were pushed to the brink and elected to defend themselves. They had no rights, no vote, no way to control there plight. What would you have done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE