Needle Case

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Finished off a small project i have had on the back burner for a little while today, it's nothing too elaborate or special, just a bamboo needle case, dead simple to make, but also looks great when finished.

DSCN6111.jpg

The case, with stopper is 5 inches in length and has a an outside diameter of 3/4" and an inside diameter of approx 5/8", the stopper is piece of well seasoned hazel that I've whittled down so it has a slight shoulder and therefore cannot be pushed too far inside the bamboo and therefore split the sides out, for added security and strength around the rim, I've whipped some artificial sinew in place, the stopper is secured to the main tube with sinew and has a leather thong loop in the top to make it look pretty.

Now to make some bone needles to go it, think a trip to the Game processor might be in order , so i can get some Deer leg bones.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice work mate.

I always preferred working with antler needles, they are a bit more flexible and I'm told they carry less bacteria into a stab wound if you slip while sewing.

Cheers Gary, not heard about that with Antler needles before, will have to look into that a bit i think, thanks for the info

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Nice looking mate, very practical.
I have some deer leg bones if you want some for a swap for a little bamboo so as I can make something.
Also I have that big bit of cherry if you want some to make another bowl, terms and conditions are, you are the next camp slave tea maker.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Now there's an offer not to refuse, i'll grab some bambo and put it in the car for you for next trip out, some of that cherry sounds grand too, yep, i'll make the tea as well:)

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Thanks for the bamboo Kep, saw yours and couldn't resist, end piece is Bay wood, Here's what i made!
DSCF0792.jpgDSCF0793.jpgDSCF0794.jpgDSCF0835.jpgDSCF0836.jpgDSCF0837.jpg
Thanks for looking
RM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE