Needing incredibly breathable footware advice.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 18, 2011
Scotland
My feet sweat like mad tried everything. It causes incredible pain after walking any distance even after changing socks loads.

I've tried synthetic and natural socks and find that socks with a good wool content plus a synthtic wicking material is best for me but i can't get footware that helps. Had karrimor breathable trainers but they were not good for me, Now got some regatta breathable boots which are great but my feet are still on fire.

I need something preferably waterproof and extremely breathable.

To give and indication of how hot my feet get i can walk in snow and not feel the cold at all. Not trying to sound hardcore but thats the way it is.

If anyone could recommend something i'd be in your debt.

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
I feel your pain. I find that leather-lined footwear is the way to go. Any form of technical or man-made lining makes your socks rotten with funk after a full day. Coolmax socks are pretty good.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
While I would say barefoot, it's not everyones cup of tea, why not use sandals (without socks obviously). Ecco make some really comfy ones with a decent sole for grip etc. Definitely not as cold as people think.

Dec 16, 2007
I have merrile sandals they are good and in the hot outback dont wear anything else except my alt berg jungle boots but that is when on duty. Is it just the heat or the sweating that bothers you. I use a good medicated talc for my feet as can't stand the sweat rash if not. Plus use on other "Wet" areas. Again wool and cotton mix socks should help. I have a set of Brasher waterproof but breathable boots make my feet sweat rather just get wet feet and then just dry and talc at end of the day. Worked in the 80's when you never had gor tex lined boots can't see why it cant work now.

Just my 2p worth

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Anti-perspirant spray will help control sweating too, works for me along with talc, leather boots with a wicking liner and spare socks.

bigbeewee

Dec 18, 2010
worldwide
It sound like you may have hyper-hydrosis (Excessive sweating)

Its not uncommon, you can get industrial strength anti perspirant which may help

May be worth popping in to see your GP for a bit of advice.

Google it and see what you reckon

Toodlepip

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Do you have the same problems when wearing leather boots/shoes? I find that some so-called breathable synthetic boots just make my feet hot and their waterproofness eventually packs in as the linings give out.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
You can get very good treatments for excess sweating, hyper-hydrosis as stated above. Drisol is one brand another is Anhydrol Forte, both available from pharmacist counters or the net. I use Anhydrol Forte and it is excellent stuff, totally stops the heavy sweating after a couple of days worth of application. In fact three times a week is enough to not need conventional antiperspirant. Bottle lasts well too..

themoth

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
there's this treatment called Onox, really good for absorbing excess moisture and it removes dead skin to impede the growth of athlete's foot and warts.or you could just buy some good adidas high tops and not need the onox at all. i think they have it in farmacies, but i don't know. i bought it when i was in greece, and it was very good.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Aku have a fabric called Air8000 which they use on their boots. Its supposedly over 11 times more breathable than other boot fabrics (e.g. cordura)- if you believe their marketing. Nice boots too. Of course- if you opt for a membrane as well, then any benefits of more breathable fabric are cancelled out. The boots aren't cheap, but good. e.g. these thin soled beauties:

http://www.rvops.co.uk/aku-ns-564-navy-seal-desert-s-2569.html

On issue to our SF at the moment.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lot of people on the TGO Challenge did this long hike wearing crocs. Certainly assault shoes would seem a better option over boots for you.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
You can get very good treatments for excess sweating, hyper-hydrosis as stated above. Drisol is one brand another is Anhydrol Forte, both available from pharmacist counters or the net. I use Anhydrol Forte and it is excellent stuff, totally stops the heavy sweating after a couple of days worth of application. In fact three times a week is enough to not need conventional antiperspirant. Bottle lasts well too..
+1 for this brand, I've suffered heavy sweating all my life, and it's knocked my confidence back, discovered this product and it hs changed my life. Follow the instructions, don't over apply or it's sore, and see the results. No sweating, no smells, brilliant, and can be used on hands and feet. I've had the current bottle for a year! Cost£7 quid! Bargain, think of all the money saved on shirts and sprays,and improved quality of life. As for boots, you need leather boots with no technical lining, standard army type, jungle type, or walking boots with no lining.

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Lot of people on the TGO Challenge did this long hike wearing crocs. Certainly assault shoes would seem a better option over boots for you.

I thought crocs were the evening choice of shoe?

I can think of several times I've worn crocs and they have been pierced by sticks or stones. I certainly wouldn't wear them for anything more that a mile out of choice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE