Need to know what this is called

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 15, 2009
Rochdale
I bought a froe a while ago. It came without a handle. I managed to get a near perfect sized handle out out of an old hay fork. But it keeps slipping. I need one of those things to hammer into the end. Is it called a 'cleat'? I need to know because I'm going to go to the hardware shop and I'm afraid they won't know what an earth I'm talking about...

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I bought a froe a while ago. It came without a handle. I managed to get a near perfect sized handle out out of an old hay fork. But it keeps slipping. I need one of those things to hammer into the end. Is it called a 'cleat'? I need to know because I'm going to go to the hardware shop and I'm afraid they won't know what an earth I'm talking about...

Hammer wedge.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Dont go in and ask for fork handles..they wont find it funny.

Imo a wedge would be better for a froe.Cut a 'v' in the end of the handle, attach the froe, and knock a hardwood wedge in place.

Apr 15, 2009
Rochdale
Thanks for the advice. Any pictures of precisely how I would go about that? I don't really want to improvise and make mistakes in this, because it took me ages to find a handle that was the right size, although I suppose people here would also advise me to make my own handle as well, heh..

Just another quick question, would it be a good idea to soak it in water afterwards, so that the wood can swell? Someone at work did that after we fitted a new handle on a sledge hammer.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Don't soak it in water, it is the worst thing you could possibly do. The wood wil swell and be really tight in the froe and you think that's great and it is for a while, but the wood swells up so much that the cells in the wood are crushed by the immovable steel of the eye of the froe. When the wood dries out, the shrinkage means the head is even looser due to the crushed cells, and so you put it in water to make the wood swell, etc!

I believe it was mentioned by Thoureau when he made his log cabin, watch The Woodrights' Shop videos online as he talks about it several times.

Jus_like_that

Forager
Apr 9, 2008
burton
www.jltknives.co.uk
Don't ever soak a head in water, whether it be a hammer, axe or froe, as the swelling with water compresses the fibres and then when it dries it shrinks even more. i've seen hammer heads come off because of this and it isn't pretty.

If it does loosen, and you want to soak it, then soak it in old engine oil. the oil won't leave the fibre's and will stay tight.

ATB

Adam

forestwalker

Don't ever soak a head in water, whether it be a hammer, axe or froe, as the swelling with water compresses the fibres and then when it dries it shrinks even more. i've seen hammer heads come off because of this and it isn't pretty.

If it does loosen, and you want to soak it, then soak it in old engine oil. the oil won't leave the fibre's and will stay tight.

The times I've resorted to soaking I've used linseed oil (cheap, "boiled" crap barely good enough fort garden furniture); eventually it will harden (oxidize).

As to the wedge: just cut a saw kerf (i.e. saw into the wood) in the same plane as the blade of the froe, about 2/3 of the lenght of the eye. Make a wedge that is the same width as the handle from hardwood. Dip in glue (optional, not everyone does this, I often do it) and whack it in. Saw off the the excess.

Last edited:

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
to stop the potential split running through the handle, drill a small hole, the smallest you have, at the depth the wedge will stop. always glue mine and havent had a problem yet

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'm not a regular froe user,
But I had convinced myself that a frow was a double ended tool - so it could be used with the handle either up or down - hence the need for a slightly loose handle in order that you can chop and change as your work progresses.

I'm open to being corrected though.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
If the handle is not quite a tight fit, I get a knife and make a slicing cut in the middle, then I hammer a hard wood v shaped wedge in.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I had convinced myself that a frow was a double ended tool - so it could be used with the handle either up or down - hence the need for a slightly loose handle in order that you can chop and change as your work progresses.

There's a lot of sense in that. You don't use to froe like an axe or a hammer, so there's no need for the handle to be a really tight fit in the head, and if you get a particularly tough log to split the forces twisting it can be difficult to resist. If the handle and the log are side by side you can lie the log on the ground, stand on it, and lift the handle. You could put a toe on the froe to stop it rotating the log. You'll need a strong handle, but no way will you pick yourself up. :)

Of course if it's that tough it might be better to fetch the maul. :)

BTW if you're using a hammer to put a wedge into the handle of another hammer, axe, or whatever, use something like a steel drift so that you don't end up hitting two hammers together. Being cast, some heads are very brittle. If you hit one with another they will often chip. The chips can fly off at hundreds of miles per hour and cause serious injury.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE