Need some tips or rabiting please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Hi there have started to go out rabbiting and laying snares.
I and a friend go out with a very powerful sling shot could easily take one at 30 yrds.
We also take a dog with us so theres little time of suffering if they do get just injured.
I am asking from some pointers things to look for etc.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hey Lodian,
The thing with rabbits is that they'll always see you long before you see them. So let them do just that, but during the time they're down in their burries, find somewhere to conceal yourself for a good look when the start coming out again - usually within 10 - 15 minutes. I find that I don't see the first one coming back out, but more likely the second or third as they start to play and graze again. Runs can normally be spotted through fences etc where the long grass has been removed to allow access. Pop holes can also be spotted around the edges of fields where the tractors don't normally get. Once you get tuned in, you can smell them, or more exactly their urine when they are close-by.
I would plead against you using a slingshot to hunt them, as I doubt its legality, and make sure that you have permission to take them from whatever land they are on, as the rules of armed trespass and poaching can be very intricate.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I mean this in the nicest possible way - please edit the spelling/grammar in your post as I can't understand what you are asking for, despite having re-read it several times.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Not all rabbits will come out in their masses, on our permission we only really ever see one or two rabbits at each site. This means we get to have a nice walk which keeps both Ratbag and myself fit! The rabbits obviously have our best interests at heart!:D

I disagree with rabbits running as soon as they see you though. Some seem to be either very brave or very stupid. I have got within three metres of a rabbit, although a young kitten or whatever they are called. I even picked one up in my tilley hat once! No mixie either. The other night, Ratbag spotted a rabbit up on the top edge where we could plainly see the holes, but had not seen any rabbits before. A young rabbit and an almost mature looking rabbit were jumping about on the other side of the fence, literally two metres away from us, we were just standing there in the open watching them. The youngest one was hopping along the fence towards us. Suddenly, an older rabbit jumped out, clocked us immediately and they all dissapeared!

There is no way we can snare around there as there is just too much livestock kicking about, there are one or two places but it just isn't worthwhile so I'll stick to the rifle.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Hey Lodian,
I would plead against you using a slingshot to hunt them, as I doubt its
Ogri the trog

It's not illegal to hunt rabbits with a slingshot, just with a crossbow :eek:

I totally agree with you tho.
In saying that, a group of "travelers" were camped close to where we take the dogs for a walk and they were very good with their slingshots indeed. Very odd looking, the slingshots I mean. Long elastic with a very small "V" shape. They were hitting cans in the river at 30 yds, every time!!

John

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Now going to put my head fully on the line.
Lodian, I do not know who you are or anything about you but I fear you may have watched a few TV programmes, maybe read a few books and are full of bravado about living off the land, bushcraft, survival skills etc. It seems to be a common theme.

Why do you want to snare rabbits? Seriously, whats the reason? Why do you want to use a slingshot? Could you kill everyone you aimed at? Are you sure you won't leave them to suffer with broken bones?

Taking the lives of wild animals is a very serious affair. I suggest you have a re think about your motives :confused:

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Now going to put my head fully on the line.
Lodian, I do not know who you are or anything about you but I fear you may have watched a few TV programmes, maybe read a few books and are full of bravado about living off the land, bushcraft, survival skills etc. It seems to be a common theme.

Why do you want to snare rabbits? Seriously, whats the reason? Why do you want to use a slingshot? Could you kill everyone you aimed at? Are you sure you won't leave them to suffer with broken bones?

Taking the lives of wild animals is a very serious affair. I suggest you have a re think about your motives :confused:

No actually i think youve got it slightly wrong, yes i read a hell a lot of books , i have watched some programs ,but im not a hyped up american ejet who goes out killing all i see and leaving it. I have id say a bout a 8/10 9/10 accuracy on upper body shots.
The reason for killing them is because theres about 1200 in the area and are seen as pests, the land is open land and people do it all the time.
Like i said in my edited top post i take a dog with me who is a retreiver colly who knows what to do and is very fast so even if there just stunned there sorted quickly, the only time im really going to be doing this is when ium camping out at the place and a little dinner would be nice aswell as the fishing rods we have set up.
I'm not going out maming as many possible then leaving.Im also turning to coats into somthing.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Lodian,
I am glad you have edited the post as it was hard to understand. Using a dog (providing it's a good hunter) makes a big difference when it comes to ensuring the wounded are recovered quickly.
I also appreciate that you have answered my questions.
For me one querry remains;
You have stated that they are pests but your form of hunting is not efficient pest control. Let's be honest, it sounds like you are doing it to enhance you're camping experience and perhaps there is nothing wrong with that. But lets not forget the third party in our quest to enjoy ourselves - the quarry.

Regardless of how numerous a creature is it still commands respect. The best hunters, the ones who really learn the ways of their quarry are usually the ones who show the deepest respect.

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
The reason im using a slingshot is i can't aford an air rifle and my mum wont let me keep one in the house, and its really pest control what i ment is that there is that many of them noone really minds and my 2 a week if that isn't going to harm there eco system. And yes the dog gets them within 10 seconds have me hitting them.
I suppose it is really for enhancment of camping experience , as is setting up the fishing rod.

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
dont use a sling shot. Its people like you who destroy field sports for ever . All it takes is one anti. To see you. Contact the local newspaper and then there will be a witch hunt after you. Hunting any quarry demands respect for it. If you cannot kill the animal straight off everytime. Then you should not attempt it. And to do so with a catapult is very foolish. And for your snare setting. There is laws you have to follow with them. Good luck to any deer or other dogs that may get caught and left because you cant be bothere to check them every day. . . . . . . . . Stop playing at survival . Wounding animals is no joke.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Lodian

Ive just read Backwoodsman comments and he is correct in what he says although a very PC.

I grew up doing the same as you trying anything that would allow me to hunt, including skipping school to go beagling etc. (thats not a suggestion) and feel that my life would have been porer if I had not had those experiences and met some real characters.

My concern for you is that you are hunting on common land where it is almost certainly prohibited by law, your greatest danger is that the police catch you this will result in anything from a warning or whatever they call it these days to an ASBO and in turn a load of grief from your folks.

If you can try local farmers for permission in return they are always greatfull for help with hay making, harvest etc. this can lead to long term friendships and possibly somewhere to practice bushcraft. My experience of asking farmers when I was younger was not all positive the first permission took ages I cycled miles but once I had that permission I was able to approach his neighbors and quickly extended the area over which I could shoot.

Without friends or family to introduce you to hunting, shooting etc. its very difficult good luck, Pothunter.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
dont use a sling shot. Its people like you who destroy field sports for ever . All it takes is one anti. To see you. Contact the local newspaper and then there will be a witch hunt after you. Hunting any quarry demands respect for it. If you cannot kill the animal straight off everytime. Then you should not attempt it. And to do so with a catapult is very foolish. And for your snare setting. There is laws you have to follow with them. Good luck to any deer or other dogs that may get caught and left because you cant be bothere to check them every day. . . . . . . . . Stop playing at survival . Wounding animals is no joke.
Whilst I agree that Lodian may require a little guidance on his approach and methods I think your post comes across as a little harsh and makes some unfair assumptions i.e. that he cannot be bothered to check his snares when nothing he has posted gives any indication that this would be the case. He is a young lad and has taken the time to ask for guidance so let's try and be sympathetically constructive with our comments as opposed to unecessarily abrasive.

Lodian - if you are ever in my neck of the woods I will take you for an evening's lamping I can't say it will help you win round your Mum but I can guarantee that you will have a good time :)

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
best bet for you is to find someone who will teach you the ways of the countryside, a good place to start would be with a gamekeeper, just tell him you are interested in the outdoors and hunting, maybe offer to pheasant beat for him on shoot days, that way you will meet lots of people who maybe willing to pass on some knowledge to you.
Thats how l started and now 20 odd years laster im doing the same thing for others, but please put the catapult away, and only set snares after you have some practice with someone who has done it before

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
"dont use a sling shot. Its people like you who destroy field sports for ever . All it takes is one anti. To see you. Contact the local newspaper and then there will be a witch hunt after you. Hunting any quarry demands respect for it. If you cannot kill the animal straight off everytime. Then you should not attempt it. And to do so with a catapult is very foolish. And for your snare setting. There is laws you have to follow with them. Good luck to any deer or other dogs that may get caught and left because you cant be bothere to check them every day. . . . . . . . . Stop playing at survival . Wounding animals is no joke."

READ my posts , im only doiung it when im camping im not playing at bear grylls, and a person with an air rifle does not have a %100 kill rate either (though i do understand its more accurate)n And theres more people that do it that dont do it.

"Its people like you who destroy field sports for ever ."
No its people wrecking ther countryside when there finished and the likes of the old fox hunting.Now that was inhumane.

The only time i set the sanres is when im camping over night and i take them down the next day, it is not ehcniqually public land it is ownded by a young guy John Chalmers he doesnt bother he uses it for clay shooting.
And thanks silverback were u based?

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hi there have started to go out rabbiting and laying snares.
I and a friend go out with a very powerful sling shot could easily take one at 30 yrds.
We also take a dog with us so theres little time of suffering if they do get just injured.
I am asking from some pointers things to look for etc.

A question have you permission to hunt on the land and if the answer is yes and you want to hunt why not buy a budget air rifle as sling shots no matter how accurate you think you are is not a acceptable method of hunting, the land owner could get into trouble if he is aware of how you are controlling vermin on his land, I have used all manner of weapons in my time in a Recce troop and when nessceary I would use anything to provide food no matter how hit and miss it was but under normal conditions these methods are unacceptable and could lead to prosecution so please take this on board and move on

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
The reason im using a slingshot is i can't aford an air rifle and my mum wont let me keep one in the house, and its really pest control what i ment is that there is that many of them noone really minds and my 2 a week if that isn't going to harm there eco system. And yes the dog gets them within 10 seconds have me hitting them.
I suppose it is really for enhancment of camping experience , as is setting up the fishing rod.

Ditch the sling and stick to the snares you'll only get peoples back up as the airgun and hunting scene is extremely fragile so the less negative press we get the better I'm sure you'll agree
if your ever in the west mids drop me a PM and you can come on a weekend rabbit hunt ( with rifles) no dogs as we have horses and cattle on the fields rifles are relatively cheap now

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Its people like you who destroy field sports for ever ."
No its people wrecking ther countryside when there finished and the likes of the old fox hunting.Now that was inhumane.

Lodian, everyone is entitled to their opinion but I hope you have a high degree of knowledge on the subject to come out with a statement like that.

I have many, many friends - genuine countrymen, people who understand both hound and fox like the back of their hand.

I am not going to defend hunting here, I could easily put down 3,000 words on the subject and await your reply.

Hunting doesn't need to be defended from those with little knowledge on the subject.

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Its not under attack i mentioned one part of it, fox hunting. You launched an attack on the methods which i use at hand, which i posted on here to attain some CONSTRUCITVE advice on what i was doing now comments on my personality. Which you know nothing about.
So lets leave this here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE