Need some new trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheWoodsman

Nov 1, 2013
Essex/Suffolk Border
Im looking for some new trousers and was wondering what people on here used, Id prefer to stay away from denim. I dont want to have to take a 10 year payment plan to pay for them either (fjallraven).

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
How much you looking to spend, what color would you prefer, lightweight or heavier, comfort fit or a bit tailored.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Even if you're flush I'd avoid Fjallraven, their quality has gone down hill in the last few years IMHO

On a budget you can't go far wrong with a pair of army lightweights or Craghoppers, the pockets wear out in no time and you might get a few loose stitches with the Crags though. The winter Kiwis with the lining are really nice for days in the cold

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Even if you're flush I'd avoid Fjallraven, their quality has gone down hill in the last few years IMHO

On a budget you can't go far wrong with a pair of army lightweights or Craghoppers, the pockets wear out in no time and you might get a few loose stitches with the Crags though. The winter Kiwis with the lining are really nice for days in the cold

I have to disagree there I'm afraid. I got a pair of Fjallraven Greenland Pros this year and they are superb and have stood up to a thorough battering and are great! Maybe I got lucky but my pair are brilliant :).

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Check out the Jack Pyke Countryman trousers.

Lined with added reinforcement where needed and water proof knees.

I've got a pair that the wife has packed somewhere and am going on a hunt tomorrow to find the damn things :rolleyes:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have to disagree there I'm afraid. I got a pair of Fjallraven Greenland Pros this year and they are superb and have stood up to a thorough battering and are great! Maybe I got lucky but my pair are brilliant :).

Ha, mine didn't last 6 months before they wore through and ended up being binned.
I now wear Pinewood Trousers or the BG survivor.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Compared to what they used to be like I don't think they're value for money any more, the current G1000 feels like tissue paper compared to the older fabric. I have pairs I can compare side by side and the difference in fabric is very noticeable. I've caught and ripped both leg pockets now on a pair of 3 year old Karl trousers, just bushwhacking in the woods, and my 3 year old Greenlands have split and torn in the crotch. Despite that my faded old Barents are still going strong, although they look tired the fabric is still holding up fine.
I'd like to see the new G1000 HD fabric, it sounds like it might be similar quality to the older fabric, it's just a shame about the price. But if I was going to spend £170 on a pair of trousers I'd probably go for Klattermusens or two pairs of Haglofs :)
Football terrace fashion driven now, and their prices reflect that.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Compared to what they used to be like I don't think they're value for money any more, the current G1000 feels like tissue paper compared to the older fabric. I have pairs I can compare side by side and the difference in fabric is very noticeable. I've caught and ripped both leg pockets now on a pair of 3 year old Karl trousers, just bushwhacking in the woods, and my 3 year old Greenlands have split and torn in the crotch. Despite that my faded old Barents are still going strong, although they look tired the fabric is still holding up fine.
I'd like to see the new G1000 HD fabric, it sounds like it might be similar quality to the older fabric, it's just a shame about the price. But if I was going to spend £170 on a pair of trousers I'd probably go for Klattermusens or two pairs of Haglofs :)
Football terrace fashion driven now, and their prices reflect that.

Fair enough, I didn't have to pay the full price for mine though, parent cover :)

forestschoolmatlot

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2013
Wiltshire
I wear a combination of military dpm trousers which are cheap (free to ex service people like me) and bombproof, and Fjallraven Barents pro which are worth every penny IMHO (got mine on sale though).

TheWoodsman

Nov 1, 2013
Essex/Suffolk Border
Thanks for all the help, Im only looking to spend around £30-£50 maybe a bit more :eek: The jack pykes look fairly perfect do you know if they are water proof and whether or not the knee pads in them are real unlike the BG's ones?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks for all the help, Im only looking to spend around £30-£50 maybe a bit more :eek: The jack pykes look fairly perfect do you know if they are water proof and whether or not the knee pads in them are real unlike the BG's ones?

I was impressed enough with the pair I had to buy another pair just 5 minutes ago.

The knees aren't padded, just have a waterproof layer same as the seat. The rest is made from cotton canvas so they're hard wearing.

Only criticism of them is they come up long in the leg.

greensurfingbear

Bought 2 pairs of the helikon sfu less than £30 per pair. Got them in coyote and black. Had to restitch a few if the buttons but not bad for the price. Although both are size large the black pair does feel more snug

Orric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE