Need some DIY ingenuity!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I'm currently putting a knife together (hidden tang) and it's come to the gluing stage but I don't have a long enough clamp to keep the parts in place and don't fancy spending money on something that I will possible only use once!
I've thought of trying to balancing heavy weights on top but that might fall over, I'd also thought of trying to tie it together but that would also prove quite difficult which isn't good when there is glue drying!

Does anybody have any thoughts on what I could do or am I just going to have to buy a clamp?

Cheers,
Asa.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Make a clamp?
2 pieces of wood with a slit in one block for the tang to fit through if you are fitting the handle pieces in stages with two long bolt attaching the pieces of wood that can be tightened with a nut?
Do you think you'd be able to sort out the parts for that...it should work!
Hope you get yourself sorted! :)

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Use the tension principle of bucksaws. Twist one rope on oposite sides which is connected to two wooden beams, one above and one underneath to form tension. One beam could have a hole for the knifeblade.

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hi ,
Could you bolt two pieces of wood together and use it as a clamp , Use some scrap leather/blanket as a cushion inner ?
Cheers , Trev .

Taffy63

Forager
May 18, 2009
Vale of Glamorgan
Hi Asa,
Do you have a couple of planks of wood, some cord and a hinge? If you do you can trap the knife pieces between the planks and use the cord like a tourniquet and tighten it. This would be easier if one end of the planks were fixed to each other with a hinge.
Cheers
Nigel

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
There's a great stacked leather tutorial on british blades here which shows this fella;

clampdiagram.jpg

as tjurved says you can use rope with a sticks jammed in and twisted rather than the threaded rod

HTH

Alan

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
from the OP it sounds like you have a vice but it is too small simply get 2 planks of wood put in original vice and sandwich together with the piece that requires gluing

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Pray to god? Scare the glue into drying? You could improvise a vice, but to save gluing it two or three times, i would just buy a large c -clamp - they are only about £6

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
If you have a vice, and the handle pieces are simple and large, put the blade in slide on/glue the pieces of the handle and tie cordage under the vice and over the top of the last handle part. Wrench up the cordage real tight and lock off, making sure the parts are straight and there's extra handle material to compensate.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
If you have 2 G-cramps that are too small you can hook the cramps to each other to double the span. It can be a fiddle to get it to push in the right line, but it works.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE