Need some antler.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
I didn't know where to put this as its not exactly a swap, please move if needed.

I would like a couple of tines to use as pressure flakers and a head end (butt?) to use as a hammer, as I have seen these things used for flint knapping and would like to have a go.

I have nothing to swap as I have only just started getting my gear together but would be willing to pay if they dont cost too much, and if a postal order is ok.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Great link.

I was going to offer a 6" tine, but for 75p from there you can hardly get any better. As it will probably be in better condition than the bit i've got as its been a bit chewed on.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Great Link Jerv.

Just spoke to them about obtaining Antler for a few projects. Very imformative and they have a good range still in stock.

Have ordered some bits and pieces to make some Firesteel Papooses etc.

Cheers

George

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
You can often find it on ebay.

For instance there's a piece on at the moment you might be able to get for a pound

Link erased as it turns out it was unintentionally a bit too close too home

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Have been using E Bay with mixed results. Recently lost out on a set of Antlers as I was running a Bushcraft course on the closing day.

Nice to widen the options though.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Fair enough Andy - I was just searching around on there. That was just an example I came up with, i'm not reccomending it personally.

You're right though there are some right weirdo's on ebay. Buyer beware and all that.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
andyn said:
Hmmm Marts, that seller has had some odd feedback with regards to the quality of the items they have for sale and especially the packaging. Although the more recent stuff seems a bit more positive I suppose :confused:
:lmao: I would check out this link if I were you before commenting on that particular seller

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
bent-stick said:
Wow - do you memorise every thread ;)
No but I remember this one because the antler was previously used as a lamp and I thought hmmm I am sure I have seen/heard that before somewhere ;)

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
This is going to seem a bit "out there" but in a month or so the deer will be dropping their antlers. If you know any places with a good deer population you might try foraging for antlers.

I've had a bit of luck doing this myself in a place with a very large deer population, but then I did have fairly special rights of access :D

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
I live in an area with a massive deer population. I work on a farm which is pretty much plauged by deer. when I go out specifically to look for antlers I rarely find them It's when I'm out not doing anything in particular that they turn up. searching for lost arrows has turned up more than one set.
I buy antler for a few reasons but the main one is I just can't cut up antlers that I find they are too beautiful a full antler is an incredible work of natural art. Red deer antler is big and the stuff from highland horn is nice and thick and not badly priced at all. Don't forget that deer eat shed antlers to re-absorb calcium and other nutrients.
I am looking for a good source of reindeer antler if anybody knows one.

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
I am just about surrounded by woods and they all have deer, unfortunately the woods belong to shooting estates and no-one is allowed in them, can't say I blame them, given what they get per gun, per day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE