Need small amount of brass tubing

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Graham
I've soaked some linen rope in potassium nitrate to make a sort of slowmatch and I''m affraid 10mm would be too wide for a good tight fit with that, but cheers for the offer.

hiraeth, if that tubings 8mm then it sounds perfect. Could you please drop us a e to arrange things, it's much appreciated as I didn't want to be saddled with a whole metre or whatever the normal commercial lenght is.

I had hoped to use a cut down cartridge case but the smallest I have is 7.62 Nato. Infact if I remember right even a 5.56 case is about 9mm wide (?) although come to think of it allowing for the thickness of the walls that would take it down to about 7mm internal dia? Which is a bit accedemic as I don't have any 5.56 cases to chop up!

After all this its suddenly occured to me I haven't tried using the dethemaliser fuse I got for my silly vintage balsa and tissue gliders, which is a sort of slow match. I've plenty of it so I could always plait it into something wider if it takes a spark well. It never occured to try before now!

ATB

Tom

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Hi Tom

I have some tubing you can have but may be a bit small , it is approx 4mm int dia , I use it for lanyards on knives

I am in Bury so pm me if any good,will have a look round the workshop and wee what else there is

Steve

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Paul et al
cheers for the various offers but i'm now sorted for tube. I'll post a pic of the finished article when its done. I fancy having a cap on a chain to help snuff the slowmatch out.

Thanks!

Tom

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I used copper plumbing pipe 8mm to make one, I used flat cotton tape which takes a spark reasonably well when scorched.......to extinguish I just pull it back into the pipe and to relight I twist it back through...works a treat

I suppose a cap of some sort could be used to help protect the char end further.

While you've got 8mm pipe handy, cut a lenght as a blow tube for stoking the fire up, keeps the smoke out of yer eyes.

Smoggy.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi All,
heres the Mk I version of my tinder tube, I had to preen (?) over the edge at the rear and then squash it a bit to get a tight fit on the home made slow match.

slowmatch.JPG

The cap from the plumbers suppliers works very well. The match itself was made by boiling up some linen rope (from a bondage shop on ebay, the alternative was more expensive, a maker of historically correct military drums also had it) then immersing it in a hot, strong solution of potassiun nitrate overnight and drying it on the top of a radiator. It smoulders nicely with the odd splutter so I possibly over egged the pudding.

The Mk 2 version will have a screwed on loop on the cap and a light chain attaching it to a loop of copper wire soldered to the tube. To get a better fit I will sew a sheath of linen cloth around the match like I've seen in "The mountain man's sketch book volume 2" by James Hanson and Kathryn Wilson. I'm thinking about lightly water proofing the outside of the linen with wax, possibly the Nikwax stuff I use on my boots.

Now to see what the smallest female screw thread making thingy I have is (tap? die? I can never remember!)

The thinner piece of brass tube I was given (thanks again!) I will use for the working end of a fire blowing tube when i can find some thin rubber pipe.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE