Need help with elwell axe head

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dan_druff

Aug 4, 2012
Hull, England
Hi, After visiting my girlfriend in Sweden and being amazed at how beautiful the place is (the Varmlands) I have decided I am going to move over there for the year at least... I am now looking at building up a bushcraft kit to get me started ready for when I arrive there so I can take advantage of the opportunity this area offers and develop my bushcraft skills... To get myself started I have just bought a cheap mora companion as ive heard theyre great value for money and i wont mind too much if i ruin it by learning to sharpen it and doing a bad job in the beginning etc... Anyway, to get to the point, I have been looking at axes and i do like the gransfors bruks small forest axe but as I am just starting I dont want to have to fork out so much for an axe.. especially as my skill level at the moment will not need such a good axe... I have heard of people however buying cheap 1.5lb axes and putting the axe head on a larger handle... As I was looking in my Aunts shed a came across a shabby rusty axe head... I saw the weight was 1 1/4lb and it was made by a company called Elwell. I searched for info about these and people say that they were good and how 'they dont make axes like they used to etc etc' so i thought it may be good to clean this axe head up and put it on a new handle.

However, I have no idea if the condition its in is really worth it or should I just get a new axe? Although i do quite like the idea of making something from nothing... also Is 1 and 1/4lb too light/small?

I was wondering if I could take recommendations/advice on what I should do.. Ive added a few pics to give you more of an idea..

eu9znb8qz

http://postimage.org/image/ywrr32xlr/

http://postimage.org/image/qz3g5ghbr/

http://s14.postimage.org/cpx0vrabl/20120805_191255.jpg

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'm offshore just now so the Internet I have won't load those pics but I reckon it's well worth using the ewell head. Cant see if it has a handle but I put a 20" handle on a fat ewell head I had and it is a very good useable axe.

Best of luck with the adventure. I'm jealous

All the best
andy

dan_druff

Aug 4, 2012
Hull, England
Thanks for your help guys.... Ive given it a good grind with an old nearly dead grinder she had an sanded it a bit with coarse wood sandpaper which got the rust off.. Its not looking immaculate and it has a bit of pitting but im not too bothered.. i actually like the more old rustic look... just need to wait for the 14" handle and wedge to be delivered and stick that on then give it an edge (im not overly looking forward to as i have very basic limited tools and equally limited experience). But hey.. its a fun project keep me occupied nonetheless... Ill put photos up to show you the end result once its done....

once again, cheers!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I have an identical Elwell, same weight. It was passed down to me by my grandad, who used it to rough out wooden bowls. He said it was by far the best carving axe he'd ever had, or used.

Mine is in a similar state and is waiting on a re-handle.

Looking forward to seing it finished and shiny shiny again. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE