Need help with cleaning this old not-so-sharp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Hi,

Had this since demob - been used for camping/gardening - and never cleaned - sharpened !

I know im very bad.

S7000241.jpg

Where do i start - and can these be re-handled with ease ( note the tape holding my handle on ).

I have no real tools to aide a clean up - for shrpening my other tools - i use Reds 10 pound wetndry kit ! ( red rocks )

Thanks

Loz

Johnboy06

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2006
Ellesmere Port
I posted similar question bout an opinel knife (smaller scale) general advice was wd40 and something to scrub with eg one of those abrasive green washing up sponge. As for sharpening i only know wats been put on the threads. Someones got better advice probs : :eek:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Go over to british blades and you will see a thread about martindale machetes, or the old tree beater as it is better known to soldiers, and it has been reprofiled and with a better hand grip put on. I can't remember for the life of me who is doing the job, but it is fantastic work.

Some emery or wet and dry on a wooden block will do a good job of getting rid of the surface rust, you can get coarser grades to sharpen it aswell, and if you use the wet and dry and a mouse mat to make a "Hoodoo hone" (do a search on it) you will be able to put a convex edge on which will give you a better edge and is quite easy to maintain. I'd do a search if I was you, there is so much info out there!

Good luck!!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
spamel said:
Go over to british blades and you will see a thread about martingdale machetes, or the old tree beater as it is better known to soldiers, and it has been reprofiled and with a better hand grip put on. I can't remember for the life of me who is doing the job, but it is fantastic work.

I'm not picking on Spamel's spelling, just noticed he added a g by mistake that would bugger up your search. It's Martindale.
I was looking at the thread on BB earlier today. Bardster is doing a good job with them! Makes me tempted to get one and mod it a bit! :D

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
This just reminded me of one of my earliest projects.
I found this in a pile of scrap metal, scales rotted away and very heavily pitted.
Spent about a week working with wet n dry to clean it up :rolleyes: .
I was only 14 at the time and my father had just got a new band saw so i found some oak from an old bed and I used that for the scales and scabbard.
I remember being amazed at how thin i could cut the wood on the saw and the idea for the sheath came from that and also the fact that o didn't have anything else to use fof a sheath.
The bolts are just brass bolts with the head turned down by hand on a bench grinder.
Took me ages to do but it was a great project and i learnt to use a lot of tools.
396_9610crop_1.jpg

You can hardy make out the joints in the scabbard.
It's was one piece of wood split into 3, the profile of the blade was cut out of the middle piece and the 3 pieces glued back together.
396_9611crop_1.jpg

Seems so rough now but back then this was one of my most prized possessions :D .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE