Need help deciding on axe/hatchet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
Hello all!

I am having trouble deciding on weather I would like to get a Gränsfors brooks wildlife hatched, or a small forest axe. I would like to be able to fit it in a bag for backpacking or maybe even on my belt. Also th ability to fill in for a knife is also good.

Thanks all!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Hello all!

I am having trouble deciding on weather I would like to get a Gränsfors brooks wildlife hatched, or a small forest axe. I would like to be able to fit it in a bag for backpacking or maybe even on my belt. Also th ability to fill in for a knife is also good.

Thanks all!

Define trouble!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hello all!

Thanks all!

Go with the wildlife. It will satisfy your urge to chop. :D

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
You need to decide what you'll mostly use it for. If it's for larger work and you want to swing it then the SFA is better with a longer handle and heavier head. If you want something for smaller / more accurate work then get a wildlife hatchet - it's more portable too. People sometimes fetch their own SFAs on our spoon carving courses but find they can't really carve with them because the long handle gets in the way.
Nicola

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
thanks! Does the wildlife come woth a sheath that is able to be put on a belt, or will i have to make something else/ modify it?

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
As I recall all the Gransfors axes come with a simple leather sheath that is just designed to protect the edge. I'm sure folk on here would post you pictures of how to make something that would fix it to your belt.
Nicola

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
vildelivsbtfarmer1723iq0.jpg

The supplied Wildlife sheath is not set up for belt wear. You would have to make one that was.

Wearing an ax on your belt is not always a wise idea anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE