Need advice quickly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 20, 2014
Surrey
Hello all, sure this has been adressed before but not great at working my way around forums.

Just need some quick simple and hopefully easy to answer help with water filters...

Will a sawyer mini be safe for us to use in dartmoor national park? I have heard it won't deal with viruses...is this something that should make me rule out that filter?

I have a millbank bag and chlorine diox tabs but the ease and practicality the sawyer mini will give is something I'm reluctant to turn down. I'd like to be able to just fill that bag up and drink straight out of it and then refil our bottles and carry on moving.

I am not concered about herbicides and pesticides after speaking with the parks advisors.

Ideally hoping for a few quick opinions as I'm in the pub next door to the shop, I have work tomorrow but it's very easy to stay here...

Thanks for your time

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Watch the mcq bushcraft basics video in water filters. Some very useful info and I can vouch for the biology (BSc).

Viruses are too small to filter. That said they won't live long outside of a host or some kind of particle. This is where the filter does the job :)

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
The only real risks in waterborne viruses in the UK are coronavirus strains and Hepatitis-A. And both a rare enough not to worry especially if you are in a remote area. Drinking from a source near human waste obviously is a viral infection risk, but out there you should be fine

YEOLDOAK

Jun 28, 2015
uk
In light of our current virus, are there precautions, DIY or other that can be taken in the
home with regards to drinking from the tap, outwith boiling?

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
There should be no issues drinking from the tap, the OP was talking about drinking from sources outdoors. Bit of a zombie resurrection fella

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE