Need a sleeping system but which sort?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Right, one of the last things i need to get (famous last words :D ) is a sleeping system but i am not sure which.

Bivvy, bag and basha
Hennesy and hex Maybe cold weather bag
Tent, force 10? and cold weather bag.

Main considerations are cost, weight, durability, ease of use and versatility.

I already own a full lenght thermarest and a vango bag but the bag is only realy good for warm to moderate temps at best. I was thinking along the lines of a Nonok endurance -25 bag although not sure how they perform during the rest of the year with the vango for summer.

The Bivvy and basha/hooch? seem to be the most versitile to me but i have little experience of sleeping wild and can't realy see myself stretching or even fullfilling it's capabilities in the very near future ( maybe i can feel the winter comming :eek: )

The hennesy and Hex fly seem the lightest and make a good accesable sleeping system for at least 3 seasons although i will be neding a system now for the meet hopefully. Or at least A meet. :) Also good for summer keeping me off the ground with the benefit of a built in mosquito net. I'm a bit dubious about durability but i havn't read many complaints.

The tent would seem the obviouse choice but i feel like i am killing the spirit somehow and possibly even wimping out. I have heard of the force 10 on here but some other 1/2 man reccomendations would be great! I realy don't know though, the easy option seems just a bit too easy :confused: ( maybe i would feel better if i got a green one :D )

Still i bet i'd wish for the easy option after staggering from a campfire blearyeyed with the crackling of burning wood and the quiet hum of friendly voices punctuated with occassional laughter. The black void of night enveloping me as i pace toward my tent; the fire still hot on my back. That reasuring sound of the zip as you wake to navy blue sky at 04:30 am for a dash to the relief spot. ...Sleeeeeep ;)

What would you do?
Any advice would be most appreciated as i only get one shot at the right system for the time being.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
bilko said:
Right, one of the last things i need to get (famous last words :D ) is a sleeping system but i am not sure which.

The Bivvy and basha/hooch? seem to be the most versitile to me but i have little experience of sleeping wild and can't realy see myself stretching or even fullfilling it's capabilities in the very near future ( maybe i can feel the winter comming :eek: )

Winter is the best time to go camping Mate....not many others about and nothing better than looking out from under your basha to see that snow came last night and made everything white.

Weren't you interested in moving to Canada? Better get used to camping in the cold buddy ;) lol

I suggest you get along to some of the winter meets and try different things out... I often lend out my spare basha and bivvi for people to try out.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Well after trawling through countless pages on the subject of sleeping bags and the merrits of synth verses down etc i have finally purchased the Nanock endurance SF -10 from a very helpfull Andrew at www.outdoorcode.com. Whilst i was there i managed to pick up a 3mx3m Tonker Tarp as well. Being slightly bigger than the hex it should be able to get plenty of coverage for my kit and cooking needs ( trangia) and also loads of room to play with different setups.
All i need now is to find a grade A1 army bivi to complete my system.
Thanks for all the links and advice everyone they have been most useful. :)
Hmm....thinking on; i might be on the lookout for a cheap mosquito net as the tarp has a handy O ring in the centre which i could suspend it from.

Right, off to trawl the surplus sites now for my bivi :rolleyes: :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE