Need a scythe, any suggestions?

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
I'm after a scythe to use keeping a field at work under control. I've had a look on eBay and most are too expensive or far away ( people are reluctant to post). Any ideas where I might get something half decent for a reasonable price? Anyone have one propping the toilet door open that they'd part with ?

Cheers all Joab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
:coffee:You might try www.barynyxknifeco.com. He is in the US, though
Ben is great to deal with and has all kinds of toys! H is also a great guy to deal with. He may be to hook you up with someone on your side of the pond to get you a gteat deal.
BTY he goes by 42blades n BCUS, checkhim out.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
There are 2 knocking about on my dads farm but I suspect that the handles may be cracked. I can check next time I'm there if you'd like. Not sure when that will be though.

Cheers
Grebby

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You should be able to pick up a quality modern one with our choice of blade for about £80.

How much were you looking to pay? No point trying to use some woodwormed relic with a serrated blade

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd suggest the link above to the Austrian scythe shop - work out your choice of blade and snath and go from there.

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
The longer finer blades are for more delicate cutting? Need more sharpening and peening!
Afaik the shorter blades tend to be heavier for rougher stuff. What will you be using it for?

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
The longer finer blades are for more delicate cutting? Need more sharpening and peening!
Afaik the shorter blades tend to be heavier for rougher stuff. What will you be using it for?

For a mixed quite rough meadow. I was thinking about getting a mid length ditch blade...would that be good enough for cutting nice grass too if needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
I can just about cut grass with a ditch blade but takes some sharpening. I have a 50cm blade but would prefer a longer blade if doing more than the paths, how bigs the meadow? Length of grass etc?
Also the finer the blade the more likely the risk of chipping. Then you need peen in tools!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That blade is in a shocking state. It would need all rust removing, grinding, sharpening and repeening. A lot of work if you don't have the peening skills.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
There is a website selling the austrian sythes, I bought one with a ditch blade off them when they did some hands on at an event, use it down the allotment!
http://www.thescytheshop.co.uk/

Yep, useful link, thanks.

Scythes are becoming hard to get. 10 years or so I went into Inverness to buy one, and in the tool capital of the UK, I could only find one. I can't imagine things are any better these days. I'm after a bramble blade for mine for next summer.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
My brother has a number of old scythes but I doubt if he would part with them. I could do with a scythe myself since mine went missing in one of those unfortunately regular shed raids on the alloment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE