Need a pocket knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway
Hi all.

I want a double bladed pocket knife with a lambsfoot blade, can anyone help? I use my opinel all the time which is a drop point and find it ideal for legging, paunching and skinning rabbits and game. I also have an A. Wright lambsoot blade knife which is ideal for carving wood or cutting leather and it's easy to keep sharp. The lambsfoot blade is easily damaged though as if you dent the point you have a lot of sharpening to do so I don't like to use it where there is a risk of hitting a nail or whatever.

So does anyone know where I could get a double bladed knife to save me from carrying both around. It would need to be uk legal, carbon steel and I am not a fan of plastic so wood or something natural for the handle although I could re-scale it. Don't really want one with lots of gadgets. Don't mind second hand but don't know where to look. Can anyone help?

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
True - but these aren't like the stainless blades we used to get in the 70's. My EDC is their Doctor's Knife and it takes an edge every bit as good and durable as my No.8 Opinel, it's no harder to sharpen either, even though it claims 440 stainless on the blade. My son's first pocket knife is their Peanut, both in white bone:

PIC_0095.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
3 different grades of 440 stainless. A,B and C. C is good knife steel, the others aint. :)

True - but these aren't like the stainless blades we used to get in the 70's. My EDC is their Doctor's Knife and it takes an edge every bit as good and durable as my No.8 Opinel, it's no harder to sharpen either, even though it claims 440 stainless on the blade. My son's first pocket knife is their Peanut, both in white bone:

PIC_0095.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
They should really have it listed which grade it is. You could ask the retailer for more info. Failing that, the manufacturer.

Bit of a pita for a cheap knife, but if it is 440C then its not been a waste.
440A and 440B have less carbon, lower hardness and higher corrosion resistance. Puts them in the "doesnt hold an edge too well, and is hard to resharpen" camp.

http://www.multiplex-trd.com/articles/about_440c_steel.htm

How can you tell which you have?

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Cheers Mark. I've found mine very simple to sharpen with a DC4 or a 600 grit (red one) DMT pocket hone. It holds the edge pretty well, but if I abuse it it'll roll the edge fairly easily.

A quick strop makes it capable of shaving the stubble on my left hand (ok - I probably should lay off sharpening stuff for a while until it grows back properly) very easily.

I remain undecided, other than it's a cracker for a tenner and easy to replace as I do tend to lose EDC's for some reason.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE