Need a down jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AdMan

Mar 19, 2013
Halifax
Hi, I have a decent waterproof but I need something to keep me warm when biviing and camping. I have been borrowing a North Face down jacket but I have also been looking at the Snugpak softie jackets any recommendations on a jacket to basically keep me warm?

rg598

Native
It depends on what temperatures you plan to encounter. The Eddie Bauer Ascent Peak XV is one of the warmest ones on the market right now that is still easily portable.

238%255B3%255D.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you a weight or temp rating in mind AdMan?

I use an OR Transcendent down hoody for backpacking trips, or sometimes a Montane Fireball synthetic. If you want something more substantial for base camping then the Alpkit Filos are worth a look.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Very happy with my Rab photon. Only thing I would say is its too warm at times. Weighs nothing and you barely know you are wearing it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If your using a bivvy in the damp UK climate I'd go for a synthetic fill, not down. Down absorbs moisture slowly even in a tent, it will get damper quicker under an exposed bivvy where a synthetic fill won't.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I tend to agree with rick here
Also if you are expecting to be a near a fire etc you don't want to be damaging an expensive Down Jacket
Having said that I wear an old Down Gilet under my swannie sometimes
I also have the army cold weather jacket and trousers which is like a softie http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-B...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item589d99ccd3 only cheaper Trousers are warm as well
Also people swear by Buffalo Mountain shirts so worth researching them

For Bushcraft I generally buy second hand as as long as its functional I don't particularly care what it looks like in fact it can expect to need repairs on a regular basis
Then again I do get called woods tramp

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Can't beat "Buffalo" pile windshirt type jackets (Arktis, Ridgeline & Buffalo) perfect for our damp climate, won't matter too much if you get a spark from the fire on it either :)

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
If your using a bivvy in the damp UK climate I'd go for a synthetic fill, not down. Down absorbs moisture slowly even in a tent, it will get damper quicker under an exposed bivvy where a synthetic fill won't.

and for the above reason and the price go for a Snugpak Elite or a Buffalo shirt. All you need really for this country. All Ive ever needed for winter walking

Last edited:

rg598

Native
Along the lines of what Rick is talk about, I use the Patagonia DAS Parka. I don't know how available it is in the UK, but I love mine. It uses Primaloft One insulation and packs down to the size of a Nalgene bottle. It's not as warm as the Peak XV.

3013.jpg

H2497

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2008
London / Herefordshire
The DAS Parka is available in the UK and it a great "high end" synthetic that's been well proven. I have used one climbing as a belay jacket, I throw it on over the waterproof for belays. The cheapest synthetic option in the UK will be a Snugpak softie or surplus forces issued version. Don't expect either to be as warm as a decent down jacket. I recently replaced my Rab with a Berghans Saunda (I think) and its very good. Lots of pockets, down on both sides of the hand pockets, comfy fleece round the neck and a semi waterproof lining. It also has sythetic wrist sleeves with thumb holes, a great toutch.

If you want to bivvy out in the conditions we have at the moment you need a lot more than a buffalo shirt. I recently spent some time in Otterburn in Northumbria. It was -8c and it was buffalo and full softie suit the whole time for me when I wasn't moving.. but then I am a complete wuss in the cold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE