neck knife

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
Hi there,

i'm sworn off of the pub until the 7th of july, which is difficult as a student! so to take up the time i've been in the shed this afternoon and knocked this up out of an old file that i bought at a car boot the other day.

its convex ground and very sharp, it looks a lot better now that ive stropped it, i dont know why it looks so cratched and uneven in the photos.

i intended it to be a three finger grip and it works nicely for that, i think i'll get a neck sheath for it and then try and sell it on. i might try and wrap it as well, what do you guys think?

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

any comments and criticisms are welcome.

nathan

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i like that mate,..nice shape,...very nice,..

did you anneal it first?

if not have you tempered it down ?

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
Yeah, fully annealed and left to cool in vermiculite, then i shaped and ground it, normalised three times, quenched in oil then tempered at 230 for 2 hours. Its not a precise science given the quality of my equipment ( my forge is an old saucepan!) but its seemed to work well the past few times ive done it, if i was to comapare it against my other knives of a known hardness id say that it was about 58-60 hrc.

cheers

Nathan

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
well looks a cracking job,...its never a science is it,..hahaha i use a bbq, my last file knife accidentally turned out ok,...

whats the plan with a handle,?,..as is?....

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
yeah, having played with it a bit i think leave it as is, if i wrapped it it would change the proportions of the thing and make it too thick for its length. I think leave it as is :)

Thanks for the kind comments

Nathan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE