Neck cord breakaways?

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I've just got a Mora Eldris neck knife (my first Mora actually), and I was wondering if there are any DIY ways of providing the neck cord with a safety breakaway, so I don't end up hung up by my own knife.

Looking forward to reading your suggestions.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
As a quick and very effective 'homemade' breakaway a large paper clip works extremely well.....tied one end on to the neck cord with a loop on the other end or simply tied both ends. Either way the clip will open up and will part from a 'reasonable' amount of force but is not likely to open under normal use.

D.B.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
A lot of the neck cords they give with identity cards ( the wife's one for work and the eldest for his sixth form college do anyway ) have little break away buckles for safety reasons, can you cadge one from someone who gets them issued for free? Easy enough to fit them to a cord of your choice.

Personally I use leather thongs and experiment with a spare bit to see how much I need to shave off a section to weaken it enough that it will snap before I'd get hurt/ stuck. You don't want it to be so weak you are losing stuff of course.

ATB

Tom

Ps you can get the clips on eBay etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-500pcs...Clasp-Nursing-Necklace-Paracord-/262018075336

Last edited:

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I had the same problem. This is the best solution. Easy to install (melt the ends of the paracord) and holds very well-you need to grab the item on your neck with your whole hand and yank it properly. I can assure you there is no chance of accidental release. And the best thing is that it does not wear out. I use it for my memory stick and I snap it off several times a day, still holds like new.

https://www.heinnie.com/knotty-boys-barrel-buckle

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Took a while to find it but it seems relevant...

Posted this a while ago, a simple knot that can be pulled quite tight but will still break-away should the need arise.

IMG_2185.jpg

ATB

Ogri the trog

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Thanks for all the suggestions! I might give that special knot of Ogri's a try, but I really like the professional look of the various barrel connectors. I wasn't aware that they could be had so cheaply.

So thanks again!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cool, anybody else on board? I'll only be wanting to keep 20 odd myself so plenty spare. If no one else is in I'll just order a smaller amount. Whatever a large letter stamp is will cover the P&P. Will ask herself to order however many on Sunday PM.

ATB

Tom

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
i use that half fishermans knot of ogri's on lots of neck lines. you can vary the release tension by how tight you pull it, and you can double the knot as well. if my daughter wants a play bead necklace and the kit has run out of/didn't have proper breakaways then i use that knot.
steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE