Nearly coming unstuck - unfit and inadequate clothes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Last Sunday I went out for a bike ride (on the road). A couple of years ago this wouldn't have been any big deal, but I've been off the bike completely for a year due to a busted arm. Only a couple of day rides since then. I wanted to get up to Middleham if I could, and planned to go across to Northallerton to get the train home.

Forecast was for cold drizzle, so I put on 'winterweight' cycling tights, lightweight merino top, thicker cycling top, a buff and took a pertex showerproof. Some cheap ski mitts for my hands. Could only find one neoprene bootie for my feet and that was torn so only mtb shoes on with wool socks.

Day started ok, if chilly and the first 30miles was fine. Feet soon soaked in the puddles. Hands were cold, mittens soaked. I own waterproof overmitts but had left them at home. Showerproof had gone on very soon after leaving home.

To cut a long story short, by the time I got to Middleham, 50 miles in, I was soaked and cool. Stopped in a pub but really didn't feel like food. Forced down some chips.
Cold and slow ride to Northallerton.

When I got home, two toes were dead white and part of my foot. Toes went black in the shower. No feeling. No appetite for food either. That didn't come back until the next day.

On reflection, I was in the first stages of hypothermia. I didn't have the fitness to ride hard enough to generate the heat to deal with the conditions. It was about 1c all day with constant drizzle, water splashing up my feet.

Sat at home were waterproof overmitts that I could have been wearing on my hands. A pertex and pile jacket that, although filthy, would have been a better choice for clothing - it wouldn't have got soaked and clammy like the cycling jersey. In the past I wouldn't have ridden without overshoes, either (I've bought replacements).

I enjoyed my day out, but it was a bit marginal and I feel a tad foolish, in retrospect. I was close to being one of those idiots who need emergency services or are found dead from exposure.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
we have all done it at one time or another, reminds me when a friend and I walked Ben Macdui, we passed a young couple wearing lightweight fleeces shorts trainers and day packs, as we reached the summit the temperature had dropped and the weather began closing in so we took to lower ground that was less exposed to setup camp on the way down we see the same couple huddled together under a overhang freezing and shivering, I said to my mate who had just finished service with the paras give them our survival blankets to which he replied eff.off if their that stupid let them freeze and walked on I gave them mine and told them to follow us at a safe distance in order to avoids a tongue lashing from a bad tempered para, they did get off the mountain safely and i think learned a valuable lesson so happy ending.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Yeah - lesson learned - the main thing was how much difference lack of fitness made. Three years ago, wearing nearly the same clothes (I'd have had overshoes on but the rest would have been identical), I would have burned around with steam coming off me, not got cold like that.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
So easy to get it wrong. The fitness bit is very well observed but not always the main factor.

I've overcooked (pun intended!) sitting out for foxes with a rifle in the snow for far, far too long to the point I've thought I was going to die and only 600 yards from a Country Club!

It can happen but good to hear you're OK.

K

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I learned the same lesson a couple of years back up on the Beacons; fitness was good, equipment and clothing exactly right, planning efficient enough. The danger came from the one factor I'd never even considered, truth be told had probably refused to acknowledge to myself - age! I just had to come to terms with the fact that the body is not what it once was and the metabolism just doesn't work the same. As soon as I'd come to terms with that factor and made allowances I've not had a problem.

As said above, very easily done...........Glad you came out of it well.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Interesting about the toes, I would have been down the medical peoples place to have them checked out rather than waiting, i would not have had the bravery to wait. Amazing what a battering appendiges take especially when wet, in the water or wer boots or gloves, the feeling in them can quickly dissapear, they seem to get cold very very quickly, its not unimaginable to loose a didgit in quite mild conditions. I suppose the wind chill factor as i remember experiencing on a bike make any damp hands and feet alot lot worse

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Toes are at risk when cycling. They are exposed, cycling doesn't flex or move them, feet are often under constant pressure and that restricts blood flow.
I was riding for about 5.5 hours and the water, which would have been at atmospheric temp of 1-2C would have been spraying over my shoes for the whole time. Combined with windchill, that's fairly unpleasant conditions.

Walking encourages blood flow and I've have no problems walking barefoot over snowy, icy moors through bogs. Guess it just proves that cycling is an unnatural activity.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE