Navigation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i`ve got an old miltary lecture book on navigation thats from the 60`s era i think,its about an inch thick and covers everything ,so now i`m going to have to find it, but i reckon you could pick it up from old second hand book stores or militaria fares for a couple of quid, cheers tone, i forgot i had that book,it just goes to show you can learn something new everyday at bushcraft uk ,al :)

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
One of the Best Books I have come across for learning Navigation Skills is the Manual of Map Reading ISBN 011 771905 6 published by HMSO

It's full of information such as: Basic map reading and interpretation of topography, Using a protractor type compass, Prismatic compass use, using a sun compass, Finding north via a wristwatch,Astral navigation.

It's written as an instructional manual so is easy to follow has lots of diagrams and pull out maps of various types to practice on. I also has a section on interpreting aerial photographs. There is nothing in it as such on Night navigation and it misses out on techniques such as hand railing and aiming off but it pretty good.

I'd highly reccomend it to anyone.

cheers

John

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Tony said:
What is the best navigation book, especially with night navigation?

Mountain Navigation, by Peter Cliff

This clearly written little book is quite excellent for land based map/compass work. This is, of course, the basis (and back up) for any GPS stuff you may care to indulge in subsequently.

Burnt Ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE