Nature Philosophy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
"There are no rewards or punishments, only consequences." I really like that say. :biggthump

And consequence doesn't have to be a bad thing necessarily. It can also be good things. For example it has a consequence if you fall into icecold water with cotton clothes and don't do anything about it. That's probably gonna end up with a negative consequence.

But if you make a fire, the consequence is that you'll be able to warm yourself, have a meal and of course light and protection. That's a good consequence.

Also in everyday life, this say comes to mind in several things.
I like this consequence-pedagogic. :D

-What is your opinion??? :wave: :pack:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
I am more of a 'prevention rather than cure' kind of guy myself. Aim not to fall in the icy water in the first place. :)

And be careful using words such as 'pedagogic' on a Sunday. I have to use my brain for such terms :shock: just when it is winding down. It sounds too much like a small town in Wales right now :rolmao:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Moonraker said:
I am more of a 'prevention rather than cure' kind of guy myself. Aim not to fall in the icy water in the first place. :)
Yeah. :lol: :D But it could happen. And then there will be consequences no matter what.

Moonraker said:
And be careful using words such as 'pedagogic' on a Sunday. I have to use my brain for such terms :shock: just when it is winding down. It sounds too much like a small town in Wales right now :rolmao:
:rolmao:

Moine

Forager
Viking,

I really like that say as well. It's simple, it's realistic, and it really puts many things back in their place.

The "Earth Mother" is a metaphor (which I like and use profusely as well). We should not take that literally and see her as a thinking subject. Therefore yes, what happens to us is mainly a set of consequences... and we, also, start a series of consequences every time we do something. When we move around in the bush, we DO have an impact on other critters and the ecosystem. Let's not be simplistic and forget that either...

All in all, I really like that say because it's going against the ambiant determinism... We are free, and we have power over causes and consequences. Destiny is a trap in which we fall, thanks mostly to our laziness and lack of self-reliance.

Just my own, humble opinion, of course...

Cheers,

David

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
There is even an attempt at a religous construct called DEEP ECOLOGY by Arne Naess in Scandinavia. The late Edward Abbey once said there was more beauty in one proven fact than all the fairies and other beliefs combined. Asked what he believed in, Ed replied " I believe in this rock I'm sitting on, and the symmetry of that young ladie's buttocks standing over there." I like an old inuit prayer, which naturally I can't find. To paraphrase. " I thought of many things paddling my kayak among the great waves of the storm. And in the end only one is important, The great dawn of the new day."

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
ChrisKavanaugh said:
There is even an attempt at a religous construct called DEEP ECOLOGY by Arne Naess in Scandinavia. The late Edward Abbey once said there was more beauty in one proven fact than all the fairies and other beliefs combined. Asked what he believed in, Ed replied " I believe in this rock I'm sitting on, and the symmetry of that young ladie's buttocks standing over there." I like an old inuit prayer, which naturally I can't find. To paraphrase. " I thought of many things paddling my kayak among the great waves of the storm. And in the end only one is important, The great dawn of the new day."
nice one Chris :biggthump

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
ChrisKavanaugh said:
I thought of many things paddling my kayak among the great waves of the storm. And in the end only one is important, The great dawn of the new day."
:claping: :claping: :claping: Good one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE