Tools for the Car.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So what tools do people suggest or keep in their Cars ?

Beyond HiViz jacket, Gloves, Headtorch, Jumper Cables and an Emergency air inflator what else would you say is a prudent inclusion for not just 4x4 but your everyday get around car.

Space tends to be limited in many cars so the suggestion of an 18" bar Chainsaw for those oh so tricky but improbable ' trees across road' scenarios may get omitted from the list.

( List mainly for United Kingdom - So things like Bear Spray , Kevlar Body armour and EPIRB are also unlikely to be included )

Thank You.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Usual screwdrivers and spanners, although i've never really needed them I guarantee if i took them out I would need them.

I carry one of these and would never go back to rope:

Half decent pipe wide grip pliers :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/WORKPRO-Ca...9d98b&pd_rd_wg=5aTh3&pd_rd_i=B01FQPCQ9Q&psc=1

Emergency fan belt but check you can actually get at yours and it would fit.
Radweld or something to block holes in rads and carry water.

Get someone with a torque wrench and copperslip to go round all your wheel nuts or studs and grease them and the hub up. Carry a half decent breaker bar and socket in case you need to get a wheel off.
Optional Small bottle jack if your car doesn't have a jack.

My girlfriend hit a building supplies sand bag on the motorway and it managed to get completely wrapped around the driveshaft and disc. took a while to remove it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
My car kit, tyre pump, 15m of 2mm kevlar cord, cream crackers and warning triangle already in the car. Sleeping bag in dry bag
16860defea6489d9d5b9b638081a2e46.jpg

Yellow waterproof note pad and pencil is a must

Reactions: Winnet and TeeDee

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
It's very easy to go from having an answer to most common situations, to full on prepping. I like to be able to handle a road side situation or being stuck on the motorway long term. But no desire to rebuild civilsation out of my car. Also hate mess in the vehicle.

Car stuff:
Compressor, jump leads, 1kg fire extinguisher, tow strap, jack and wheel brace, emergency triangle, site lamp (that runs of my milwaukee 18V battery), 1st aid kit, Silky saw, pouch with bits and bobs like bulbs, fuses, duck tape, zip ties.

Survival stuff (2 people 24h in the car):
3x 2l water bottles, 6x ready meals with FRH, small sleeping bag, tarp, roll of kitchen towels.

Tools. That depends on your diy inclinations. I carry full tool kit but I like to have it for myself or others.

Under both front seats I have a cheap fleece and packable jacket (XL for me and L for the passenger). This is the most used convenience in my car. Small pouch in my glovebox with tissues, sun screen, hair bands and whatever my partner might need.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It's very easy to go from having an answer to most common situations, to full on prepping. I like to be able to handle a road side situation or being stuck on the motorway long term. But no desire to rebuild civilsation out of my car. Also hate mess in the vehicle.

Car stuff:
Compressor, jump leads, 1kg fire extinguisher, tow strap, jack and wheel brace, emergency triangle, site lamp (that runs of my milwaukee 18V battery), 1st aid kit, Silky saw, pouch with bits and bobs like bulbs, fuses, duck tape, zip ties.

Survival stuff (2 people 24h in the car):
3x 2l water bottles, 6x ready meals with FRH, small sleeping bag, tarp, roll of kitchen towels.

Tools. That depends on your diy inclinations. I carry full tool kit but I like to have it for myself or others.

Under both front seats I have a cheap fleece and packable jacket (XL for me and L for the passenger). This is the most used convenience in my car. Small pouch in my glovebox with tissues, sun screen, hair bands and whatever my partner might need.

A fairly extensive kit list however. :)

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Bags. Lots of spare bags. Useful for wellies, foraging, mucky gear, it has been used once to remove a nice head off a roadkill buck.

Can't go wrong with a bit of excess cord and some kind of bottle/container. I always carry ratchet straps but then again I've got a roof rack

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
In my daily driver hybrid - Jetboil, snacks, water, a blanket and a coat, candle lantern and a break down card :) I would sit tight and wait for breakdown to sort me out!

in my weekend landrover - all my tools and a trolley Jack!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
In my daily driver hybrid - Jetboil, snacks, water, a blanket and a coat, candle lantern and a break down card :) I would sit tight and wait for breakdown to sort me out!

in my weekend landrover - all my tools and a trolley Jack!

I guess I was also thinking about what to carry to help others out - a little last boy scout but its nice to be able to get someone on their way if one can i think.

Reactions: MrEd

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The main issue I find is one can end up carrying TOO much kit.
So triage of kit selection is key.

What starts small and useful starts snowballing to an increasing volume of kit and " what if's" that then need to be emptied from the car when doing a large Tip run.

In winter tome I don't mind lugging another large bag for winter kit ( spare clothing, bag , food, stove etc ) on a more seasonal basis.

I'm trying to limit it to storage in a few spaces.

Under either of the Two front seats bearing in mind one is already allocated for a Decent First Aid Kit in a PLCE medic Pouch.

Space for a 2nd PLCE pouch exists under the other seat .

Tyre Inflator , Jump leads , Hi-Viz jacket , Head torch , Gloves can all be stored with ( in the void ) of the spare wheel in the boot.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
yeah l would gladly share what I had with others if needed. I have helped people change tyres before, but have also stopped to offer help and it’s been declined!

The declined bit I honestly do get!
It seems strange now - that I have to pause and think if I want to stop and help someone in distress in case the action of charity is misconstrued for something else.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Tow rope and shackles!
Wheel wrench
Jack

But, TBH, I'm the wrong person to respond; I teach 4x4 driving and recovery so I can get carried away :)

I'd still be equally entertained and interested in what such a list may entail.

You teach for green lane type stuff?

Redhand Jack

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2021
Devon
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the ubiquitous poncho yet - as a youngster I binned a car and spent the best part of an hour waiting for recovery in the midst of a bloody awful storm, so always keep an old blanket in the boot and cheap fold flat ponchos stashed in the door pockets..
Other than that a first aid kit and a torch are all I have in the car - I used to keep bulbs, cable ties and tools in my old cars but there's not much the average person can repair on modern cars

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE