Natural Skin treatment.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stinkymilo

Mar 13, 2006
Wiltshire
Hi folks,

Just a quick question. My oldest daughter is of an age where she's starting to have problems with her skin and we were wondering if there were any natural treatments for this. She is reluctant to try over the counter "chemicals" and would rather use something that nature provided. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ATB

Stinky

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Hi Stinky(!)

I feel for your little lass. Let her know that the greasier her skin now - the less wrinkles she'll have when shes older. It may help!

Anyway, firstly get her some Tea Tree oil which she can dab on the offending item after washing her face at night before she goes to bed. (Its vital that she washes her face morning & night to remove grease, grime & any make up)

REALLY important that she doesnt pick her skin, most germs hit the face from our hands. Germs + Picking = a mess :(

If you (or she) wants to PM me I'll happily send you a list full of dietary things that may help too.

Also Im sure Toddy has a basketfull of remedies for this one, im sure she'll be along in a mo.....

j

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's supposed to be hormonal, that's why the pill is so good for many folks; indeed many young girls are on it to help with an acne problem.

Try evening primrose capsules, they work for many women, as does lots and lots of exercise....jolly hockey sticks, swimming pools, and all that. The exercise seems to help flush things out and the UV light outside is helpful too. Bushcraft Rules, Okay! :D
Do her a huge favour; cough up the cash and get here to a beautician who will explain to her how to care for her skin properly.
Find one who will teach her, in the simplest of terms, without insisting that she buy the most expensive lotions & potions.
Big department stores frequently have special offer days and are happy to introduce a young woman into the hedonistic delights of being pampered for an hour or two :D Smaller local beauticians are usually organised by one person who rents out *chairs* to other therapists; many are very good :) and it's a great birthday present :cool:

Cheers,
Toddy

p.s. cross post :rolleyes: Tea tree oil is excellent for skin infections, it really kills buggits. If you can afford it so does Rose oil ( horrendously pricey :( )

stinkymilo

Mar 13, 2006
Wiltshire
Many thanks Janie, I hope she has wrinkle free skin when she's older.

Toddy: I should have mentioned my daughter is only 13 so the pill is not really an option. Nor is sitting in the makeup department. As per my initial thread we are looking for a natural remedy if that is at all possible.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
stinkymilo said:
Many thanks Janie, I hope she has wrinkle free skin when she's older.

Toddy: I should have mentioned my daughter is only 13 so the pill is not really an option. Nor is sitting in the makeup department. As per my initial thread we are looking for a natural remedy if that is at all possible.

The pill is prescribed to girls that age, and I suspect more often than many are aware of: personally, no, I agree, I don't think it's appropriate but it's the reality of her peer group.
A beautician isn't a make up artist, and again, it's a normal thing for girls of her age. A treat activity, a girlie thing to do........as is make-up, dad! ;) A good beautician will teach her how to clean her skin, to exfoliate, moisturise, protect and care for it for life.
Hopefully, the hormones will settle and your daughter will have few problems. Unfortunately self image can be overwhelming at her age too, and personal perception and peer pressure are very insidious in attacking self confidence.

atb,
toddy

stinkymilo

Mar 13, 2006
Wiltshire
Hi, We are a strange breed of parent who actually know our daughter isn't on the pill and doesn't require it. However, we also of course do buy conventional products for our daughter's skin problems, which she isn't happy with - the cost is irrelevant. We contacted this site to ask if anyone was aware of natural herbs, etc,which are beneficial to this type of skin problem. The pill is widely available and known, and really wasn't the type of thing we had in mind. Not all children are alien to their parents and actually have a good relationship with them. This, maybe, is something which nowadays is all too rare. I have been a member here for many months now and I am very disappointed in the calibre of this reply. My daughter is a great advocate of natural remedies, and unfortunately, I will not be participating in any further discussions on this site.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know your own personal beef against parents who are not aware of their daughter's habits is one thing; but at no time were you advised to get her on the pill, it is simply the reality of the world in which she is growing up; acne is a hormonal problem, the pill sorts it out for a lot of girls.

If she were not bothered by her appearance you would not have posted here, the obvious way to deal with her appearance is to teach her how to deal with her skin care properly.

There are *no* 100% natural cures for acne; there are a lot of things that will help but there's no magic herb that sorts it out for everyone.

As to your latter statement; since I have been involved in this thread I feel that it would be inappropriate for me to deal with your issues any further.
I will ask another Mod to respond, and will happily accept their judgement on my posts.

Toddy

stinkymilo

Mar 13, 2006
Wiltshire
HI, My husband has already stated that he does not wish to respond any further to anything on this site. However, I had read your comments and have found them to be extremely patronising. My daughter recently had cause to see a consultant plastic surgeon as she had a problem which was totally unrelated to a specific skin problem and he actually commented on the fact that her skin was extremely well looked after and obviously involved a strict regime of skin care, etc. However, this problem is very universal, and the answer cannot merely be addressed by suggesting the pill. I would hope your site would be a little more in favour of a more natural remedy, which, I myself, will now endeavour to find. The cost of treatments is totally irrelevant. My daughter does look after her skin exceptionally well, as any dermatologist will confirm, but unfortunately, she is prone to skin problems, as are may children of her age, so to suggest my daughter is taught how to deal with her skin care properly is extremely insulting.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
stinkymilo said:
HI, My husband has already stated that he does not wish to respond any further to anything on this site. However, I had read your comments and have found them to be extremely patronising. My daughter recently had cause to see a consultant plastic surgeon as she had a problem which was totally unrelated to a specific skin problem and he actually commented on the fact that her skin was extremely well looked after and obviously involved a strict regime of skin care, etc. However, this problem is very universal, and the answer cannot merely be addressed by suggesting the pill. I would hope your site would be a little more in favour of a more natural remedy, which, I myself, will now endeavour to find. The cost of treatments is totally irrelevant. My daughter does look after her skin exceptionally well, as any dermatologist will confirm, but unfortunately, she is prone to skin problems, as are may children of her age, so to suggest my daughter is taught how to deal with her skin care properly is extremely insulting.

Not being involved in the original conversation I will just make one small comment, if all the above information had been included in the original post then none of the above angst would have happened.
None of us are mind readers, we offer advice, help and anecdotal conversation. People here offer for free their take on things, be it a thread on sharpening butter knives, to making hair shirts.
For free with no instructions or commandments that “this is the only way to do it”. As with all free advice you get what you paid for it. Take it or leave it. It is not a comment on you or yours.
If you have managed to raise a child to the age of thirteen, then you must know her quite well, her wants needs and opinions, we on the other hand don’t, the only clue we had to “her” was what was posted in the opening. And given that and no more, people offered their advice.
Your husbands somewhat calculating rudeness, to what was an innocent reply, smacks of Russian roulette posting, I doubt that it is game many like to play

Reactions: bambodoggy

stinkymilo

Mar 13, 2006
Wiltshire
I did actually state in my original message that 'my young daughter' had skin problems. Your comments are again pompous and uncalled for. We are extremely unimpressed with your response and do not wish to have any further correspondence with you. I shall from this point on terminate all contact with you and do not wish to receive any further replies. I certainly did get what I paid for, i.e, 'nothing!' I also posted my query in a non bushcraft topic, so if your associate was not qualified to answer, as you also appear not to be, I guess,. maybe he should have refrained from doing so!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Milo, enough. Your rant is beyond discourtesy.
This thread is locked until another mod is available to deal with your complaints.

Toddy

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I think this thread has got off to a bad start.
Stinkymilo - there's no need to get personal is there - either to Toddy or tadpole.
looking at the thread I can see a couple of things.

The initial information was perhaps not as much as it could have been. You seem to have got hold of the wrong end of the stick and are refusing to let go.
Bad skin has a lot to do with hormone imbalance, one of the effects of the pill is to control hormones so it's common for doctors to prescribe that drug on a low dose for girls who have skin problems. This is not Toddy's oppinion - it is fact.
I'm not going to debate the moral rights and wrongs of this - it's not the forum to do it on, but it does happen.

Toddy was offering a potential answer to the question you posted - apart from it not being a natural remedy I don't see anything wrong with that.

If you feel so agrieved on hearing the answer perhaps you shouldn't have asked the question.
If you feel you wish to leave, that as ever, is your choice as it is with everyone of us. Please allow yourself to sleep on it and see it from anothers point of view before you make the final decision though.

I'm going to open the thread again. Please respond if you wish but do so in an appropriately responsible and respecfull way.

Thanks

mark

Reactions: bambodoggy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE