Natural firesteel tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

speckledjim

Mar 30, 2007
Edinburgh
Does anyone have any knowledge of natural tinder that works well with a firesteel?
I'm sick of using tissue paper, and I really need something I can find lying around in case myself or my kit get wet through. I do canoeing/bushcraft so this is even more important.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
birch bark is my favorite by far, easiest to use and very avalable.

iv just descovered fatwood pine which has become a very close second (do a search, there are loads of threads about it)

i also regualary use the bark of laylandii trees and similar cypress type trees. just fluff it up and it is very easy to light.

resin from some other conifers are much more runny and volitile than pine. i just grab some dry needles off the floor and try and soak some up from fresh wounds. this goes up very quickly:D im not 100% on what tree it was but im pretty sure it was hemlock (it was getting dark lol).

once you try a few natural tinders you will never use man made tinder again. i dont meen to sound harsh but i almost look down at people who still feel the need carry cotton wool, sure its ok if you have just started bushcraft but i hear of many experienced guys still useing it:eek: why?

pete

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I use fatwood shavings mostly myself. Either maya sticks or taken from pine knots I find. Birch bark works pretty good for me too though.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've heard downy bird feathers work well but I've never actually tried it, also charcoal or dog ends from an old fire will take a spark then blow into an ember. Useful in the morning for getting the fire going again.
Tumble drier lint takes well and I usually carry some in my pouch along with bits of inner tube and birch bark.

Lake

Jun 7, 2009
These grass tops are excellent tinder for firesteel fire lighting and also for bowdrill or handdrill.

f9e8mc.jpg

jr9x8m.jpg

9jpw78.jpg

30rl1ty.jpg

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I agree, anything fluffy depending on the weather. I almost always take some cotton wool balls and if you think its gonna rain, rub them in a bit of vaseline first.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
birch bark is my favorite by far, easiest to use and very avalable.

iv just descovered fatwood pine which has become a very close second (do a search, there are loads of threads about it)

i also regualary use the bark of laylandii trees and similar cypress type trees. just fluff it up and it is very easy to light.

resin from some other conifers are much more runny and volitile than pine. i just grab some dry needles off the floor and try and soak some up from fresh wounds. this goes up very quickly:D im not 100% on what tree it was but im pretty sure it was hemlock (it was getting dark lol).

once you try a few natural tinders you will never use man made tinder again. i dont meen to sound harsh but i almost look down at people who still feel the need carry cotton wool, sure its ok if you have just started bushcraft but i hear of many experienced guys still useing it:eek: why?

pete

I agree with your last pararagraph Pete. Although I wouldn't go as far as to say I look down on people who use cotton wool or man made tinders. Everyone has to start somewhere. I think my first was cotton wool and vaseline.
I do agree though that it's a great feeling to be able to recognise and gather natural tinders when you come across them and get a fire going from purely natural materials from the wild although I still use charcloth a lot.
Buffed Clematis fibres are my favourite tinder and you can even gather them when damp and buff them. The friction from buffing dissipates the dampness and with a good spark away you go.
If you learn and practice with all the natural tinders you will indeed never go back.
birch bark, cedar inner bark, honeysuckle, cramp ball fungus etc. I like the ones that burn for a long time rather than the quick woosh like thistle down for example.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The great thing about birch is that it works in a soaking wet wood. As has been described on other posts, just scrape the bark (still on the tree) with the knife and collect the sawdust that's gnerated. It lights easily with a spark even when damp (unlike grasses and thistle heads). Use thin peelings from the bark to get a bigger flame gowing.

Wild cherry works as well but is slightly less easy to ignite. On the basis that birch and cherry are nearly everywhere in the UK there's never a reason to use non-natural resources IMHO.

Cheers

Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE