Natural dyes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm.
Okay, firstly dyeing wool is easy, and even on it the onions will fade out to buttery yellow.
Turmeric is better but you need a heck of a lot for a cotton tarp.

Basically these three dyes are the safe in class ones for schoolkids.....and you don't need to boil the wool in the onion liquor, just add it when the liquid is ready and leave it sitting in a jar until the colour is as strong as you like........nicely ticks all the health and safety boxes :approve: and the kids get a result :approve: Works on nylon and on paper too.

If you are dyeing a tarp, might I suggest that you have a go with a substantive dye, one that needs no mordant, like madder roots, tea, coffee, if you really want a dye and not a stain.

Thanks for posting the link, interesting to see. :)

cheers,
Toddy

Roibeard

Nov 8, 2007
waterford/Cork, Ireland
Has anyone had any success with privet leaves?

I have tried dying linen with them and I got a nice pale yellow but it had nasty brownish spots as well that kinda ruined the garment .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They're supposed to give a good black........I get a sort of greeny dark brown............ah now, that's worth another go :D

cheers,
M

leon-1

They're supposed to give a good black........I get a sort of greeny dark brown............ah now, that's worth another go :D

cheers,
M

Thanks Mary, we found some the other week and Lou's hands ended up quite happily stained from the breaking open of the husks.

That walnut husk dye gives a good black if you cook it up in an iron pot and throw in a few crushed iron tablets from the chemist.

Eric

Thanks Eric, that's good to know.

Another question is does it need a mordant of any kind?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Depends on what colour you want. If you use Iron you'll get black, if you don't you'll get a muddy colour. If you use copper you'll achieve more of a greeny brown............well, I do on my soft water.

Try a bit and see, technically the answer is no, but..........

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE