Natural cordage/fishing line

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

urban hunter.

Member
Nov 4, 2024
15
0
Wales
iv often wondered iff silkweed/aka filamentous algae can "iff processed"? Can be made into fine fishing line? Iv used it as bait for roach on weirs with some success contemplating other uses.
 
iv often wondered iff silkweed/aka filamentous algae can "iff processed"? Can be made into fine fishing line? Iv used it as bait for roach on weirs with some success contemplating other uses.
I don't know, but I would reconmennd trying it out!

Does it have similar qualities to other things that can be made into cord? Drying it out and then tryinf to roll it, or drying then boiling it and rolling it, and seeing how it behaves as you go.
 
  • Like
Reactions: urban hunter.
I don't know, but I would reconmennd trying it out!

Does it have similar qualities to other things that can be made into cord? Drying it out and then tryinf to roll it, or drying then boiling it and rolling it, and seeing how it behaves as you go.
Iv yet to experiment need to wait till next summer I guess
 
I am thinking that if it could be used, it would have been, rather than plaitting horse hair, silk, or twisting gut, and so forth.
Maybe it was used deep in the past can only experiment next summer I guess
I am thinking that if it could be used, it would have been, rather than plaitting horse hair, silk, or twisting gut, and so forth.
Im thinking more from a survival ancient perspective than the best tools for the job, I have lot to learn and experimenting.
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE