Natural cooking pots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Yep we Irish did dig trenchs and fill them with water and but hot rocks in it to boil the water and cook the food.

If I remeber correctly there is some theory that it was a method used by hunters as they are not always found in or near settlements. So they were used instead of pots etc.

I will have look and find some more info.

James

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
You can also line a hole in the ground with a fresh deer skin for example (hairy side out obviously) and use the hot rock method in that. You need to stake the hide out and leave plenty of slack as it'll shrink alarmingly. It's also best to not put the hot rocks directly onto the skin as they may burn through.
I also recollect reading somewhere that some soapstone contains asbestos. Is this true?

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Realgar - that would be great :biggthump its one of those thing that i have been wanting to do for years now, but not many people seem to know the whole process.
The other one i intend to make is a clay bread (well pizza really) oven.
look forward to reading it.

Cheers
Rich

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Found it. It's called a Fulacht Fiadh (cooking place in the wild) and was used by hunters while camping. According this site http://www.inhp.com/ the same campsites were used on a regular bases and they were usually near water marsh, river, lake etc.

The animal was skined and then the meat wrapped in straw. The water was brought to the boil by using heated rocks and the meat put in. Accord the tests at the heritage centre it takes 20mins per pound + 20 more pretty much like a modern oven. They don't say what meat they used do.

I have been here in Winter and was pretty dead but I have been told it's lot more active during the Summer.

James

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I can also remember seeing some travellers on tv in a desert being shown how to cook a sheep or goat in hot sand (Cant remember if theyd lit a fire among some stones first) :?: :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE