Natural Air Freshener Wanted!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Hi folks, any idea how I can get rid of a stinky cat smell? (I'm not allowed to get rid of the cat!)
I'm thinking of a natural - and free!- kind of deodoriser, is it as simple as burning a few pine needles in a dish? or maybe some aromatic wood shavings?
Any sensible solutions and methods greatly appreciated...

robotchicken80

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2012
Verden (Germany)
Hi Mick

The best way I know is to use some good quality cat litter. I will not mention any brands because I work in the industry, but most of the own label products do not prevent the smell...

If you want to know more you can send me a PM if you want.

hope that helped

Toni

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi folks, any idea how I can get rid of a stinky cat smell? (I'm not allowed to get rid of the cat!)
I'm thinking of a natural - and free!- kind of deodoriser, is it as simple as burning a few pine needles in a dish? or maybe some aromatic wood shavings?
Any sensible solutions and methods greatly appreciated...

Any of those works for me, also add any dried herbs you like, make your own incense. Lavender is particularly good, you can use the oil too in a burner, or pine oil.

Aside ... a male cat? neutering works on stopping them spraying.

Of course you can't get rid of the cat! Banish the thought :naughty::viking::nutkick:!!! As a friend's sig reads, "If the cat and the boyfriend don't agree, get rid of the boyfriend!" ... have found that works too :lmao::surrender:

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Hi Mick

The best way I know is to use some good quality cat litter. I will not mention any brands because I work in the industry, but most of the own label products do not prevent the smell...

If you want to know more you can send me a PM if you want.

hope that helped

Toni

...best kitty litter i've found is plain old wood shavings- no smell at all. I also have a large stinking collie and use tea tree oil which seems to manage the whiffs- a couple of drops periodically in the hoover and a couple of drops on his bed

cheers

Joab

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Thanx for the suggestions folks! A real mixed bag there, some more useful than others! I have two dogs who have made my van smell permanently of wet fur - but I'll forgive them anything.
That damn' cat, though...:banghead:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Perhaps the best question is 'why' is the cat stinking ? Normally they don't.

If it's sprainting in the house then go to the vet, they will sell you a spray that totally takes the smell out, but you need to look into why the moggie's doing that indoors.

If it's just it's toilet tray, then you need to empty it more often, regardless of what the instructions say, and I agree that the quality of the litter is really important.
The compressed wood pellets aren't as absorbant as the fullers earth stuff, but they do smell very much better. Pine sawdust works very well on it's own but it sticks to the cat's fur and you'll find it everywhere; that's why the pellets are a better bet. I think it was Morrison's I bought them last. Weren't very expensive anyway.

If you gather some pine resin and dissolve it in a jar with real turpentine, a few drops in one of the nightlight candle oil burners will work wonders :) but just opening the jar and leaving it sitting safely somewhere is very good too :)

I've had cats for most of my life, Tabby's and Toms, and the last Tom was never neutered, and my home has never smelled of cats, not even when there were litters of kittens. Figure out the why of the smell will go a long way to stopping it........and that's not a hint to euthanase the moggie ! :D

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm probably the wrong person to answer this, since my cats have always spent a large part of their lives wandering my gardens, but how do folks who have totally indoor cats manage ? :dunno: There are a lot of them about, and the cats seem contented enough, but surely if there were smelly issues then there'd be more talked about it where we could find information on how to deal with the problem.

Best of luck sorting it out:)

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE