Native Americans Russell Means

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Met him years ago in Glastonbury when he was on a lecture tour, which I went to. Amazing chap, full of wisdom and knowledge.
I bet that was interesting he made millions off films n still decided to move bk n live on a reservation to stay true to his people he’s a decent guy.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
He was at wounded knee in the 70's.
I don't remember much of his lecture to be honest, except his stories about that. He could play the Native American flute amazingly well too.

He inspired me to study with several other N/A elders whenever possible, including Wallace Black Elk, who told me what would unfold in the next 20-30years. About 25 years ago. I'm on the watch for a green comet... that's when you know the real shizzy will hit the fizzy, and you may wonder why I believe that.. everything grandfather Wallace told me has come to pass so far.
The Elders know their stuff.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I don't "follow" anyone as a guru, believe me. But I don't think there is anything wrong with listening to wisdom from those who have it.
I have questioned those I have gone to see. I never take anything for granted.
Sadly there is so much crap out there from the likes of David ike and many others, it can be hard to know what is true, and it's easy to become cynical and reject everything including many wise teachings, or taken in with rubbish.
I can't realy explain , but the feeling of knowing it's wise and true, and the ability to see behind people's words is important to be able to know the difference between those who are in it for the money, and those who simply wish to help you understand and thrive in this complicated and confusing world .

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I don't "follow" anyone as a guru...

You sure about that..?

I'm on the watch for a green comet... that's when you know the real shizzy will hit the fizzy, and you may wonder why I believe that.. everything grandfather Wallace told me has come to pass so far.

Sounds like a faithful believer to me.
So, go on then - explain how this green comet (an inanimate remnant from the beginning of the solar system that passes by every few thousand years) can presage 'the real shizzy hit[ting] the fizzy'?
It is human nature to want to see patterns and meaning in everything and just because two things correlate it doesn't mean there's a causal link.
Hmm...now I think about it, I'm sure there must have been a banana going brown in the fruit bowl in late 2019. Listen to the wise old elders, people - brown banana = global pandemic!

Reactions: Herman30

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Mod hat on here chaps and chapesses.
This is getting into stepping on the toes of the 'no religion' rule.
Be good if people can agree to disagree please.

Ta

Reactions: Toddy

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Really, how so?
Doesn't sound like a religious discussion to me.
The OP introduced someone who they thought had wisdom to share, someone agreed (with an example of a green comet), and they've been challenged on how that constitutes wisdom.
That's called a discussion.
Or debate, if you prefer. Religion has never entered into it. Not in any meaningful way.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
What I find funny (re: dumbfounding) about the 'wisdom' behind such predictions as comets (and many other 'significant' astronomical events) is how they take place across the whole of the planet, yet the amazing event only seems to affect one small area.
Case in point - Halley's comet in 1066. If it was such a harbinger of doom, it only had a very localised impact for something (i.e. a comet) that should have affected the whole planet. It may indeed have been a significant year for the English, but what about the Patagonians? Or the Chinese? Or the Easter Islanders? Plus every other part of the globe. Was 1066 such an important year for them as well, or just England? Again, coincidence. Nothing more.
So much for the wisdom of those wise old seers!
When it comes to knowing what plants can be found where, and when to pick them, and what they can be used for, and our responsibility to the habitat about us. And things like that. THEN I will happily take the wisdom of the elders. But when it comes to using arbitrary astronomical events to predict what might come next and what they signify...well, I think at that point the wisest thing the wise can do is to know their limits.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
That's called a discussion.
Discussion is fine. what is not so good is mocking someone for their belief.
As is always the case on this forum if you want to have a grown up discussion please do so without ridicule or belittling and, of course, the same is expected from all parties on all sides.
Thanks

Reactions: homesicksteve

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Shizzy hits the fizzy tomorrow then?

Thank you for the heads up I had no idea about that. You have just proved what black elk told me almost 30 years ago, and he was not an astronomist, he just told me the predictions of his grandfather. He was in his eighties then, so we are going back to well before astronomy was as advanced as it is now.
Scoff at that if anyone wants.
I would not scoff at others beliefs, so I actualy find it quite nasty minded to do so to my beliefs. Respect costs nothing, and proves, yet again what I said before about cynicism and rejection of anything other than the here and now. Spirituality is not popular here is it?
Yet you all go to the woods to chill out and revive your spirits. Spouting about connecting with nature.
Do you not see how it all connects?

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Sorry, but that's the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'what's that noise over there?' and running in the opposite direction.
You're trying to dodge the question.

What has seeing a green comet got to do with seeing the relationship and interconnectedness between ourselves and our actions on the world around us? Explain to us what that green comet has to do with that and how that comet directly interferes with it. Where does the comet's power come from? How is it exercising that influence? Why do these omens predict significant events for one group of people but not another if their power (or whatever word you prefer) is so objective?
Ultimately you (or I) can believe what you like. But that doesn't necessarily make it so.

Spirituality is not needed to see one's part and place in the environment, nor one's responsibility to it. To quote the kind and gentle Douglas Adams - 'isn't it enough to see the garden is beautiful without having to believe there are faeries at the bottom of it?'

Reactions: crosslandkelly

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE