Nalgene cup stove

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Don't remember if I ever posted this here. I don't seem to remember doing so, and I figured that someone might find it useful.

Spending a lot of time outdoors, I've grown particular on the issue of canteens. For a long time my favorite canteen setup has been the USGI 1qt canteen with it's stainless steel cup that nests around the canteen, and the little stove attachment that nests around the canteen cup. The stove actually worked quite nicely for both fuel tabs and burning wood (twigs/coals).

However, the 1 liter Nalgene bottle, which has become a backpacker standard for carrying water and other things, is in many ways more practical.

The fact that some of the best water purifiers are designed so that a Nalgene bottle screws into the bottom of them really secures the 1 liter Nalgene bottle as the best choice for a canteen.

However, the utility of the USGI canteen cup/stove arrangement would be a nice thing to still have. So, here's a solution.

First, there are a couple of companies that make a folding handle, stainless steel, 18 fluid oz cup which is sized to nest around the bottom of the standard 1 liter Nalgene bottle. The one shown in the picture below was made by Glacier.

For a stove, what I've found fits the Nalgene bottle cup nicely as a nesting stove is a stove made out of a standard, small coffee can that is normally sold with 12oz (.34kg) of coffee in it.

I used a drill with a hole saw to cut out the center and regular drill bits for the smaller holes. The bigger small holes in the side were shaped and cleaned up after drilling by using a dremel tool and a small grinding wheel. The can was cut to size with a dremel tool with an abrasive cutting wheel. I'd recommend trimming and cleaning the holes and edges to keep it from accidently cutting you during use. The finished stove is extremely light.

Here's some pictures taken right after I made it, while the stove was still shiney and new.

Rostov_stove1.jpg

Rostov_stove2.jpg

Rostov_stove3.jpg

Rostov_stove4.jpg

Rostov_stove5.jpg

Rostov_stove6.jpg

Rostov_stove7.jpg

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Nice setup you've come up with there.

I'd like to suggest 1 further ( easy ) refinement.
Not sure if your coffee cans have pull open tops of if you need an opener to open them. if the latter keep the cut off top in the bottom of the ( stacked ) base, this would give a nice fireproof base on which to stand the whole thing and would pack away unnoticably, dropping into the base. If the fomer use could use the bottom from a second can.

It's probably a personal thing but, for the sake of a few grams, it can avoid direct flame contact with the ground. It was the one thing I had against the US stove and canteen cup arangement, though I figured I could always cut my own if I got a set.

Still, as I say, a very nice arrangement and one that I think worthy of adding to a Nalgene bottle in my emergency brew kit pack, once I've found a UK equivalnet in size.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
After I made it and used it for a while, while on hikes, for the sake of speed and simplicity when I just wanted a cup of tea or coffee I'd pack a small can of Sterno (jellied alcohol) with me. It fit well in the stove and I didn't have to build a fire everytime I wanted to stop for a hot drink. The Sterno can is compact and doesn't weigh much.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
can anyone suggest or know where you can buy one of these stainless mugs to fit over the bottle

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
I bought a couple ages ago from a US ebay seller called wrightstuff1903.

I've bought a few other bits and bobs from this seller and his postage to the UK is fair.

To be honest thought, it's probably easier to buy a MyTi mug from Alpkit. It's bigger and has a lid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE