Naked Survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
G

GaryB

I once came across a posting on a forum somewhere about some guy who was into wilderness survival with nothing more than a knife, no clothing or other items of equipment. I cannot recall where I saw this link but it sounds like it could be an interesting exercise, to head out into some secluded woodland or whatever, hide all your clothing and just see how you would deal with fire, shelter, food and so on.

Has anyone come across this type of thing? :wink:

jakunen

Native
Someone did post a similar thread a while back about 'What would you do if you woke up in a forest with no clothes, money or tools' sort of thing. Was quite an interestign discussion with many very good ideas. And a few light hearted ones like 'kill the ****** who arranged my stag night'.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
GaryB said:
I once came across a posting on a forum somewhere about some guy who was into wilderness survival with nothing more than a knife, no clothing or other items of equipment. I cannot recall where I saw this link but it sounds like it could be an interesting exercise, to head out into some secluded woodland or whatever, hide all your clothing and just see how you would deal with fire, shelter, food and so on.

Has anyone come across this type of thing? :wink:

Cant say ive come across this before, naked green laneing yes, bushcrafting no id give one tip though "watch your spindle when bowdrilling!!! :shock: !!" :rolmao:

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Yep it's come in passed threads can't remember when it's an interesting Idea all do i don't reckon I could get away with here. The idea being to start with nothing and everything you need to comfortable live in the wilderness all year round.

Tom Brown Jr's speaks about it allot in his books and it is the theoretical end to the Wild-Live programme of courses. Oneness with the earth and creator.

I hope some time to give it ago but with a knife and some basic sensible clothing and then moving away from them to a total self made outfit. To start naked I would have to be some where were large game were plentiful to make clothing etc.(excuse the grammar)

James

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Stupid idea. Why on earth would a person want to do it. Us humans have clothes on, almost all day. :roll: It would be very unusual if one were stuck out there, naked. :shock:

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Try www.prairiewolf.com
The McPhersons are into that sort of thing - 'Naked into the wilderness'.
The last part of their first book is a practical exploration of the idea. And yes they do wear clothes.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i dont think its such a ludicras idea.. there are planty of native people who spend their whole lives naked or nearly naked...! ok so its not really a feasable idea round here.. but im sure if it was tropical jungle survival you could do it..

jakunen

Native
Its not a ludicrous idea, you just have to take into account the moral moores(sp?) we have under modern society.

Granted they're not as strict as they were in Victorian times, but in general we are still a society that frowns upon nudity as a hang up from those days. Which is odd as the Victorian era was not only one of the most superficially moral but also one of the most sexually perverse and degraded...

Closed doors are wonderful things...

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I once heard or read somewhere that your skin is the most waterproof part of you kit if we had retained hear we would not need to cover ourselves in the skins of other animals to survive these colder Northern climates.

Someone also worth we are a tropical beast it's only our inteligence that allows us to survive in these harsh climates. Plus some might think of it as the ultimate test of your bushcrafting skills and knownlodege.

Each to there own

My Toughts,
James

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
jakunen said:
Thinking about things like pertex and gore-tex. They permit water vapaour to pass through one way but not the other (except in areas of high humidity), and are breathable.

Hmm, sounds like skin to me...

Except skin is self-repairing, not expensive, comes in a pleasant range of colours, almost invariably fits the wearer, is quiet in use and isn't made of a load of potentially polluting chemicals.

hootchi

Settler
jamesdevine said:
I hope some time to give it ago but with a knife and some basic sensible clothing and then moving away from them to a total self made outfit. To start naked I would have to be some where were large game were plentiful to make clothing etc.(excuse the grammar)

James
I think that that would be a really interesting thing the do. If you started in summer with just a pair of shorts and aquired materials and skins to aid you through the winter.

I have read a book- Into The Wild by Jon Krakauoer (sp) which discusses a person who tried to do it as some sort of experiment about our change from primitave man.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Yes the more I read the idea the more appealing it looks. You just need to be in an enviornment that would give you the neccasary resources not here in Ireland unless I was allowed to kill deer, goats or Sheep for the hides. I could bend the rule a little and have one set of clothing which I would ware and work from there do.

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE