Mystery insect

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm posting this more in hope than expectation, but nothing ventured nothing gained, so here goes.

In flight this insect looked like a small bumble bee, but it isn't. The antennae, the way it folds its wings, , the wing venation pattern, and the big eyes all tell me it is a true fly, one of the Diptera.

So far so good. So, my next guess was that it is a bee-mimicking hoverfly, genus Volucella. I saw the classic bee mimic Volucella bombylans at the same site. V. bombylans is highly variable in appearance. However, this insect is too small to be a Volucella, and secondly the wing venation pattern is wrong. The second long vein on this insect has a really big bend in it, like a rollercoaster. That is typical of several hoverfly groups, but Volucella has straight veins.

Which means I've got a bee-mimicking hoverfly (probably) but not Volucella, which is annoying because I don't know any others. I'm going to try other avenues of enquiry, but thought I'd try here first, just in case someone really knows their hoverflies.

Size is about half the size of a normal bumble bee, or about two thirds of a honeybee. Abdomen clothed in pale yellowish hairs, with faint dark bands. Antennae look yellow in the picture.

IMGP1991.jpg

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Right had a look at some of my books and it looks like Merodon equestris , but i could be wrong, not really up on my hoverfles,, have a look and see what you think

Jason

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well done Jason, :You_Rock_. I dug out my hoverfly book as well, came to the same conclusion: Merodon equestris, form validus. Came on here to post an answer to my own question, and you had beaten me to it.

It's been a few years since I did any serious hoverfly identification.

What an incredible breadth of knowledge this forum contains. :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE